hi_shawn
Contributor II

Hi FSL的AE工程师,

我现在面临一个MFGTool烧写M6.0镜像失败的问题,急需你们的支援,谢谢。

平台主要信息如下:

SoC:车规级i.MX 6D

DDR: 4片MT41K256M16,总大小2GB

eMMC:16GB,型号为Toshiba THGBMBG7D2KBAIL,support JEDEC e-MMC V5.0 standard

在community上看到有其他工程师也遇到类似问题,但是没有说明如何编译MFGTool的uboot和kernel,我也看了android_m6.0.1_2.1.0_ga_tool\mfgtools\Document\V2下的Manufacturing Tool V2 Linux or Android Firmware Development Guide V2.docx文档,里面说要在头文件mx6q_sabresd_mfg.h里面添加一些宏,但是我在bootloader里面找过了,并没有发现该头文件,也看了M6.0的quickstart和user guide也没有找到如何编译MFGTool镜像的操作方法。

我目前只是修改uboot的RAM大小定义,因无法正常使用MFGTool,进度一直卡在这里,除了MfgTool文件里面的说明文档,有没有其它当改变DDR大小时,指导如何修改代码让imx6正常烧写和启动的文档?谢谢。

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

If you want to create the mfgtool firmware, you can use the Yocto Linux BSP. 

To build a manufacturing image,
$ bitbake fsl-image-mfgtool-initramfs

For more information, please read the Yocto BSP user's guide.

You can download the BSP and the document from here:

i.MX Software|NXP 

0 Kudos

hi_shawn
Contributor II

Hi Jimmy,

Appreciate for your reply.

I haven't built the Yocto environment yet. Could you advise me how to implement it on Android M6.0 step by step? Thanks again.

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I didn't try to build the mfgtool firmware in Android BSP.

You can follow the Yocto BSP user's guide to build the Linux BSP. then run the 'bitbake' command to build the mfgtool firmware. Modify the u-boot and kernel source code base on your own board if needed (This part is same as what you did in Android). Then build the firmware again.

0 Kudos

hi_shawn
Contributor II

Hi Jimmy,

I'd like to know if Kernel and u-boot image under the directory mfgtools\Profiles\Linux\OS Firmware\firmware and the directory mfgtools.tar\mfgtools\Profiles\Linux\OS Firmware\files\android\sabresd are same image file when download image to board?

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Let me try to explain the MFGtool for you.

The MFGtool is running the script ucl2.xml to program the images.
In the ucl2.xml, there are many scripts and separated by the LIST name. (<LIST>..........</LIST>)
Type the LIST name in the cfg.ini, the MFGtool will execute the same LIST name script in the ucl2.xml.

When you see the script, there are two parts. One is CMD state="BootStrap" , and other one is CMD state="Updater".

In the "BootStrap" part, it will load the firmware (u-boot, kernel and RAM filesystem) to the DDR.
Then the board will boot up and running the firmware, it is a small linux system.

The firmware images are stored in the mfgtools\Profiles\Linux\OS Firmware\firmware folder.

When the system is up, the storage device will be under the /dev/. For example, the device of SD Card is mmcblk.
Then in the "Updater" part, the linux command 'dd' will be used to download the images to the SD Card or EMMC.

The file mksdcard.sh.tar (for Linux) or mksdcard-android.sh.tar (for Android) is used for creating the partition in the storage device. It is a .sh script calling sfdisk to create the partition. You can modify the script if you want to change the setting of the partition.

Suggestions:

1. The original script are using many variables passing from the cfg.ini.

You can copy or create your own LIST script in ucl2.xml. You can change the filenames in the script exactly same as to your image filenames. So you won't load the wrong files.

2. It is better to connect the debug port to see the debug message when using mfgtool. So you can see where it stop and then debug it.

0 Kudos

hi_shawn
Contributor II

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your patience and helpful answer.

One more question for the MfgTool image. how can i get the image? Can i copy the uboot and kernel image files to mfgtools\Profiles\Linux\OS Firmware\firmware and rename the file matched with *.xml?  Or i need to type the indicated commands to build Mfg image?

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Q: how can i get the image?

A:  $ bitbake fsl-image-mfgtool-initramfs  (for details, please read the Yocto BSP user's guide)

Basically, you can try to copy the uboot to mfgtool firmware folder and see it can boot up the board or not.

I don't know how many different in between your board and our EVK.  The original firmware is boot images for our EVK board. So, if your DDR and GPIO mux are different, then I think you need to rebuild the firmware.

0 Kudos

hi_shawn
Contributor II

Hi Jimmy,

I just increase the DDR3L size to 2GB and emmc to 16GB. I googled the community. Someone recommend use commands "make mx6q_boardname_mfg_config"and  "make" to build MFG image. But the android UG didn't mentioned this. I have no idea about this. Anyway, thanks for you support.

0 Kudos