What files need to be saved with source control when a KDS/PE project contains components imported from an external component library?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What files need to be saved with source control when a KDS/PE project contains components imported from an external component library?

lancefisher
Contributor III

The goal is to be able to check the complete project out from source control and build it without re-importing components or performing any other actions besides generating and building.  I know what files need to be archived for a PE project using only components that were included in the standard KDS installation so I just need to know what's needed when components have been imported.  In the specific project where I first encountered this issue the external library is Erich Styger's McuOnEclipse from SourceForge

0 Kudos
2 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Lance,

you can store the files of the component repository in your version control system. It depends on your setup, but you can import the components into a common repository folder (say common for all your projects in the VCS) or even put the component files inside your project.

See Processor Expert Component Repositories | MCU on Eclipse  for mor details how to use component repositories.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

lancefisher
Contributor III

The Snapshot concept may be what I'm looking for but I ran into a couple issues with that.  First I haven't been able to get past the "unassigned interface" issue with Snapshot.  Your blog suggests that a workaround is to re-import the components into the repository created by Snapshot but I don't know how to do that and I'd much prefer to limit the project specific repository to contain only the custom components used in that project (Snapshot provides the ability to select just those components but I don't see a way to selectively import components from your online catalog of components).

Second, while I am able to create a repository inside a project folder I haven't found a way to set a path to that repository in the project's settings.  If I could use a macro like ${ProjDirPath} in the PE repository path list this would be easy but I checked and that variable doesn't work there.

For this to work effectively I need to be able to check a project out from my Subversion repository into any folder on any computer on my network that has KDS 3.2 installed and build the project without requiring the developer to modify preferences or import components.

There might be some possibility to locate the workspace for the project in the same folder as the rest of the project and use the ${workspace_loc} macro to point to the custom repository inside the project.  Up till now I've been keeping all workspaces separate from and unassociated with projects but I could switch to a one on one association and add the workspace to the Subversion entry for each project or at least do that for any projects containing custom components

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos