Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.Mx 8M Quad Lite power supply constraints unclear

Jump to solution
simon_braun
Contributor I

Hi there,

I'm currently designing the power rails for the i.Mx 8M Quad Lite and came across two specifications for the maximum supply currents assumed for the Core, SoC, etc.:

In the i.Mx 8M datasheet for industrial products on page 18 the maximum supply current for the ARM, SoC, GPU, VPU is stated as 3100 mA, 2500 mA, 2040 mA and 610 mA respectively, while in the i.Mx 8M Hardware Developer's Guide on page 33 the currents are stated as 4 A, 3.6 A, 2 A and 1 A, respectively.

Are the values in the HW Dev. Guide given with an extra security margin for PCB design and the values in the industrial grade data sheet the more accurate power consumption? 

I'm wondering which one to choose for my Buck/Boost converters.

Many thanks in advance,

Simon

0 Kudos
1 Solution
diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Please, find below what the apps engineer answered me:

The recommendations in the hardware developer's guide are suggested recommendations that comprehend all possible use cases of the device with some additional margin.  Additionally, since regulators tend to come in standard sizes without a lot of fine granularity in output current, it's easier to suggest a round value for the regulator output capacity.

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I apologize for the delay,

Probably is an error with the documentation. Please, let me verify internally I will give you an update as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos
simon_braun
Contributor I

Hey Diego,

no worries, looking forward to your update.

Best regards,
Simon

0 Kudos
diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Please, find below what the apps engineer answered me:

The recommendations in the hardware developer's guide are suggested recommendations that comprehend all possible use cases of the device with some additional margin.  Additionally, since regulators tend to come in standard sizes without a lot of fine granularity in output current, it's easier to suggest a round value for the regulator output capacity.

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos
simon_braun
Contributor I

Hey Diego,

thanks for your update. That helps a lot.

Thought of the additional margin, but wasn't sure.

Now I can choose the right buck/boost converters.

Case closed! 

Best regards,

Simon

0 Kudos