Is my SWD debug fried if DIO and VCC pins short?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my SWD debug fried if DIO and VCC pins short?

codyhubman
Contributor III

I was communicating with a 44 pin KE06z chip using an 80 pin KE06z kinetis board. I followed all the instructions on setup and did have it working. It out of nowhere stopped and I discovered that the DIO pin had shorted to VCC. It also started acting funny after I uploaded code trying to implement the clock.

So my first question is the one above in the title. My second question is would there be any reason that uploading conflicting clock instructions might cause a "repeating crash" on my board? It looks like the 80pin KE06z board keeps trying to reset but nothing is happening. Both of my DIO and SCL pins remain low in this entire period.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I do a test to short the SWD_DIO(PTA4) pin to board VDD(3.3V), the measured pin current is 0.01uA.

The SWD_DIO short to VDD doesn't damage the pin(chip).

The I2C0_SCL(PTA3) pin and I2C0_SDA (PTA2) pins PTA2 and PTA3 are true open drain I/O pins that are internally clamped to VSS.

Which programmer/debugger tool you are using with KE06 SWD interface?

What's the "repeating crash" means? If the RESET(PTA5) pin with oscillating signals?

Please check here about RESET pin oscillating signals and fixed way.

Have a great day,
Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

codyhubman
Contributor III

So I found out it was just the board I was trying to debug. I think because I use the SWD with debug in KDS it eventually degrades and stops programming and is probably why they encouraged their programmer. 

My repeating crash was the program trying to reset but as soon as it seemed like it reset it would just reset again. 

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

If that issue was fixed or not? I don't think KDS IDE software could degrade the debugger tool.

If your debugger tool doesn't be supported by KDS IDE software?

Best regards,

Mike

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

codyhubman
Contributor III

The issue is I was bypassing an 80pin processor ke06 128kb freedom board to program the 44 pin ke06 128kb processor on our personal control board. I wouldn't doubt if I am misunderstanding something but everyone made it sound like doing so would not be suitable for debug and made it sound like I shouldn't even have access to it.

Also we did resolder R58 and the freedom board itself was able to be programmed again. Prior to that it said it was a target MCU problem.

For these boards we ordered some new processors and are going to swap them out. We also bought the U-Multilink programmer so hopefully we can "debug properly" if that turns out that was an issue. I will return back here with our findings.

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Cody,

Thank you for sharing.

Please let us be updated with the progress. Thanks.

best regards,

Mike

0 Kudos

codyhubman
Contributor III

Here's an update.

We ordered the Universal Multilink and the processor still did not work as anticipated. We had also ordered new KE06z128 processors. After swapping out the old processors the debug was working again. 

I did not try programming it by other methods so I am not sure if the entire processor was bad or if it was just the pins affiliated with SWD. If any issues arise from programming it with the U-Multilink I will report them back here. 

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Cody,

Thank you for sharing.

best regards,

Mike

0 Kudos