In which scenarios GDU Desaturation could occur in S12ZVM?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In which scenarios GDU Desaturation could occur in S12ZVM?

Jump to solution
hardydragon
Contributor II

Hello Reader,

I have understood the concept of the desaturation as specified in the document but I don't understand that when can this happen. I have experienced that sometimes even if the MOSFET is not damaged GDU reports desaturation error. Please, could anyone explain in more detail?

Regards,

Hardy

1 Solution
pachamatej
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

the desaturation error situation may occur if a gate driver circuitry doesn't provide enough charge to switch on a MOSFET "on time" - causing a slower slope of the switching-on process. May be due to various reasons, such as electrical error in the MOSFET gate circuit, connection failure on the PCB or in the MOSFET internal bonding, change of the parameters in the gate drive circuits (different capacity or resistance), wrong deadtime setting, MOSFET body diode too slow, ...

Basically, the desaturation level and blanking time shall be set to fit all the "normal" states and protect the MOSFETs when necessary.

Please check the documentation of your MOSFET manufacturer to get more details on how to tune the switching.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
pachamatej
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

the desaturation error situation may occur if a gate driver circuitry doesn't provide enough charge to switch on a MOSFET "on time" - causing a slower slope of the switching-on process. May be due to various reasons, such as electrical error in the MOSFET gate circuit, connection failure on the PCB or in the MOSFET internal bonding, change of the parameters in the gate drive circuits (different capacity or resistance), wrong deadtime setting, MOSFET body diode too slow, ...

Basically, the desaturation level and blanking time shall be set to fit all the "normal" states and protect the MOSFETs when necessary.

Please check the documentation of your MOSFET manufacturer to get more details on how to tune the switching.