Does the LPC1817 have a RNG?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the LPC1817 have a RNG?

josvisser
Contributor II

I know that LPC1817 does not have AES on chip, but does it have a True Random Number Generator?

Labels (1)
6 Replies

josvisser
Contributor II

Thanks all for solving this out.

Regards,

Jos

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jos,

According to the user manual (UM10430.pdf) page 14 the RNG is only available for the LPC18Sxx parts only. 

pastedImage_1.png

Hope it helps! 

Victor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

josvisser
Contributor II

Application note AN11643 describes RNG using the Keil MCB1800/4300 Evaluation Board, which has an LPC1857.

Is this an exception?

I only have an LPCXpresso 18S37 for evaluation, but my target is LPC1817.

0 Kudos

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jos, 

You are right, in the application note that you mentioned is using LPC1800/LPC4300. The information regarding the RNG is kind of confusing. I already report this issue. 

To know what information was right if the one in the application note or the one in the datasheet. I modified the example misc_otp_funcs provided in the LPCOpen 2_19 for the LPC4337. I used the evaluation board OM13076 with the LPC4367 to tried this. 

At the end I found out that the application note is right, the LPC4300/LPC1800 does have a RNG. Please see image attach to see the results of the program I made to test this. I ran the example three times to be sure that I was getting different random values each time.

Hope it helps! 

Victor.

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

jamestasker
Contributor II

Hi Victor,

Would it be possible for you to post the code snippet you used to call the genRand() function and then read that random number?  I'm trying to use the otp_genRand function to produce an IV, but I cannot seem to read it out properly.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

bernhardfink
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If I remember correctly, on low level the RNG is quite easy to handle. I attached a project from the past, but I need to admit that I didn't test it before attaching it.

Regards,

Bernhard.

0 Kudos