cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when building android demo on SABER i.mx6qp using MFGTool

khislop
Contributor II

Hello,

I'm trying to get the android demo running on the SABER i.mx6 Quad Plus development board (i.MX 6QuadPlus SABRE Development Board|NXP ) and I am running into an error while loading using the MFGTool. 

When running the MFGTool I get a failure on the "Formatting device partition" section. Looking on the debug console I get the error "The file /dev/mmcblk3p does not exist and no size was specified" after it ran the command "mkfs.ext4 -F -E nodiscard /dev/mmcblk3p`cat /tmp/partIdx`". Looking at a "ls -l /dev/mmc*" command a few lines up there are a number of files that are "mmcblk3p" with a number added on the end (mmcblk3p1, mmcblk3p2, ... ) but no file named simply "mmcblk3p". 

I'm using the "MCIMX6QP-SDB"

The MFGTool I'm using is "IMX_O8.0.0_1.0.0_TOOL (REV O9.0.0_1.0.0)"

The Android demo files I'm using are "IMX_O8.0.0_1.0.0_ANDROID_DEMO_SD (REV O8.0.0_1.0.0)"

Both from here: i.MX 6Quad SABRE Development Board|NXP 

I'm using the files ending in qp from the Android demo (ie. boot-imx6qp.img, etc) and running the MFGTool via the "mfgtool2-android-mx6qp-sabresd-emmc.vbs" file. 

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelton Hislop

Labels (1)
5 Replies

hardyb
Contributor III

"mkfs.ext4 -F -E nodiscard /dev/mmcblk3p`cat /tmp/partIdx`"

no file named simply "mmcblk3p". 

`cat /tmp/partldx` should resolve to a single number like '1' which indicates what partition on the disk to format.

So the total string should be mmcblk3p#. I'm guessing there is a setting in MFGTool to set what partition to format.

0 Kudos

khislop
Contributor II

Hmm, you're right that would make a lot of sense. But in that case I'm just as lost. Like I mentioned there were plenty of mmcblk3p# files. Given the error "The file /dev/mmcblk3p does not exist" it looks like at some point the cat is resolving to an empty string and mmcblk3p with no number is being handed as an argument. I have no clue how to debug that though.

As far as the partition settings, I can't find any config files or menus on the GUI to affect partition formatting. MFGTool takes a partition-table.img that it presumably copies directly into the font partition section of the drive. In that case shouldn't all of the partitions be set up correctly as long as the files are of the same set? 

0 Kudos

hardyb
Contributor III

I'll take a deeper look at MFGTool and see if I can figure out when/where that file should be getting populated.

For what it's worth, I abandoned MFGTool in favor of utp_com over USB OTG. If you're interested in pursuing that, I followed this post.

https://community.nxp.com/thread/441563

One note: That post references utp_com source from https://github.com/ixonos/utp_com.git

but the Freescale github has a fork with a couple of additional fixes [including my malloc error catch] so you might be better off using that instead. However, the ixonos source works fine.

khislop
Contributor II

Yes, that's the exact guide I am following, I downloaded the docs package from that link and am using the pdf titled "Android_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf".

I'm not sure what you mean by the emmc images, I am using the "mfgtool2-android-mx6qp-sabresd-emmc.vbs" script to run MFGTool if that is what you are talking about. The image bundle came from this download: https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=IMX_O8.0.0_1.0.0_ANDROID_DEMO_SD&appType=license&Parent_... 

And was named:

"android_O8.0.0_1.0.0_image_6dqpsabresd"

From that package I copied the following files and pasted them into the

Profiles\Linux\OS Firmware\files\android\sabersd folder for the MFGTool:

1. boot-imx6qp.img
  2. partition-table.img
  3. recovery-imx6qp.img
  4. system.img
  5. u-boot-imx6qp.imx
  6. vendor.img

The partition-table.img was the one that came named that from the package, I believe it is for 8 Gigabyte storage.

Some other information that may or may not be relevant:

• The unit arrived with android already set up on an SD card. The card worked fine and boot up to android properly the first day. The next day it could not get past uboot. I don't know the cause but we did turn it on and off a number of times during the first day and may have switched it off during an inopportune time. 
  • As the guide instructed: SW6, the physical boot switch, is set to 00001100 (5 and 6 up, the rest down).
  • By repeatedly starting and stopping the MFGTool after failure I did manage to get it to a "done" state once. However after configuring uboot for HDMI and running the system I only got a black screen with a non intractable cursor and an endlessly scrolling debug console. 
  • I notice I am getting a warning about mismatched CRCs in my debug console, which could be causing my problem. 

I could not figure out how to add files to a reply and they were quite long so I added the MFGTool log and the debug console output to the original post. 

Thanks,

Kelton

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Kelton Hislop,

Are you following the Android Quick Start Guide available as part of the Android O8.0.0_1.0.0 BSP documentation bundle (link below)? For Android Oreo there are a couple of changes from previous versions.

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=IMX_O8.0.0_1.0.0_ANDROID_DOCS&Parent_nodeId=133780397785...

You would need to use the emmc images on the images bundle and the default partition table. Would you please double check these parameters and include the manufacturing tool log? Seems like some of the partitions are being created but not all.

Regards,

0 Kudos