i.mx6ull storage options?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.mx6ull storage options?

dluberger
Contributor V

I'm in the beginning stages of developing my own custom board with the i.mx6ull. I'm following the eval board schematic and reference design, and among other issues like component availability and substitutes, I'm trying to decide which flash memory type to use for storage and running the OS.  There's almost no information at all in the datasheets or manuals that might help me decide which route to take.  The only thing I know is that I'd like to avoid using an SD card because I don't want my finished product to have a removable SD card (we have another product already that uses an SD card and it's been a nightmare, as it seems not all SD cards are created equal, and finding a good holder and bulkhead feedthru method has been difficult).  So it seems like eMMC is the way to go, but availability seems to be really low on these.  The manual says it supports up to eMMC 4.5 but the only ones I'm finding with consistent availability are eMMC 5.0; I'm assuming they're backward compatible but I can't really tell. Also, the reference design schematic table for the boot config settings is really convoluted and confusing, as there are many different options and settings, much of which isn't obvious looking at memory datasheets to tell what the right settings are (e.g., mmc 4-bit bus width vs. 4-bit DDR bus width; I haven't seen "DDR" mentioned on any MMC/eMMC datasheet at all).  Also, it seems capacity is a limiting factor, but if SD cards are available cheaply in 32GB+ sizes, why aren't individual flash memory ICs available cheaply as well? and why can't i find nand flash in large capacities?  I feel like my hand is being forced in terms of storage memory type (all signs point to SD card in terms of cost and availability), so is there really no good alternative? I'm assuming since I'm just following the yocto project guides I'm going to need gigs of space; going with megabit-scale storage just seems like it won't be a good fit. I feel really lost and confused...

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David

i.MX6ULL Fact Sheet gives good overview of storage options

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/fact-sheet/IMX6ULLFS.pdf 

Regarding eMMC, yes they're backward compatible.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

dluberger
Contributor V

It seemsthe fact sheet only mentions the storage options, but doesn't actually give any kind of comparison. What I'm trying to figure out is, for the specific types, speeds, and versions of different storage memory that this device supports, how do each compare? Is one trope faster but lower density? Is one type a good mix of both? Etc. 

0 Kudos

dluberger
Contributor V

I read somewhere that the newer high speed emmc isn't necessarily pin-compatible or that maybe certain pins have to be handled a certain way to make the device backward-compatible. Are you familiar with this?

0 Kudos