Disabling 'develop' perspective for debugging

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling 'develop' perspective for debugging

scottm
Senior Contributor II

I just installed MCUX 10.2.0_759 and I can't figure out how to get the IDE to always start debugging in the debug perspective.  Previously I'd used Erich's instructions to set it up to use the debug perspective, and that still works, but now the setting is not retained - it gets reset back to 'develop' for each application launcher.

How do I make the setting stick?  I appreciate what the develop perspective is trying to do and it's nice to have the option, but I have my debug perspective set up the way I like it and I don't want it messed with.

Aside from that I have to say that 10.2.0 has been the most painless significant upgrade so far.  And it's on the current release of Eclipse!  Never thought I'd see that happen.  CodeWarrior is still several years behind.

Scott

8 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

We've replicated these issues with the changing of the "default perspective for debugging" from Develop to Debug getting lost and are now investigating.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Scott,

" Previously I'd used Erich's instructions to set it up to use the debug perspective, and that still works, "

Could you please show what about the "debug perspective" you want  ? Also the thread Erich introduce.

Thansks.

BR

Alice

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Here's the blog post:  Using a Custom Debug Perspective in Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse 

It clears my perspective selection, and always opens the debug view in the develop perspective.  If I close the debug view, when I stop the session the debug view is opened again - apparently it's toggling the view, not closing it, when you end the session.  I can turn off the debug view auto-close, but I can't make it not auto-open.

I have all of my FreeRTOS and EmbSysRegView views and stuff set up in the debug perspective, and Git and Processor Expert in the develop perspective, and it's just too much stuff to try to have in one perspective.

Also, if there are any instructions on how to get the memory and variable views to retain settings, I'd love to see them.  If I could just get the memory view to always default to a cell size of 1 and traditional rendering, that would be a good start.  Some of the features I use the most have very inconvenient defaults.

Thanks,

Scott

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Scott,

I looked into this, and to me at the first sight it kept the settings in a persistent way. But I see that it changes back to the Develop Perspective in the workspace settings if I re-create the debug configuration(s). Otherwise it stays the same. I did not check if this was the same in 10.1, but at least this is what I see in 10.2. I see if I can find more details.

Can you confirm what I'm seeing on your side?

Erich

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Hi Erich,

As soon as I close the IDE and launch it again, it resets to defaults.  I typically go for days or weeks without closing the IDE so it's not a huge deal, just one more annoyance.

Scott

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Not sure what is different on my side, because

a) changing the perspective settings

b) quit the IDE and relaunch

does not reset it for me.

I'm using a new workspace created with the 10.2, maybe this is different for you?

Erich

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

I created this workspace when I installed 10.2.  I think I've figured it out - under Application Types/Launchers I have GDB PEMicro Interface Debugging and under that GDP PEMicro Interface Hardware Debugging and  MCUXpresso IDE PEMicro Interface Hardware Debugging.  I was setting the perspective for those two child items, but if the parent item is not also set it reverts when you restart the IDE.

Scott

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Scott,

ok, that (kind) of makes sense. I was only setting the parent item, and not the child item. That way it kept the setting between IDE restarts. But it still will revert it if you will create a new debug configuration (for that connection), e.g with a new probe discovery.

Erich

0 Kudos