AnsweredAssumed Answered

Making an NFC door access system

Question asked by Gal E.P. on May 17, 2018

Hey, I am thinking of making an NFC door access system for my masters dissertation

This system would consist of NFC terminal, android app and a server. 

The NFC terminal would hold an access code. This code would also be held by the "customer" on their phone. When the phone would establish a connection with the terminal the access code would be used to open the lock. 

Additionally, the terminal will be connected  to the internet via WIFI module. This is because I want to be able to change the access code when ever I want. 

I was thinking of using a NFC frontend like PN5180, a SAM between host and frontend and WIFI module which would also act as a host. 

Note: I am new to microcontroller programming and new to NFC so please bare with me if questions are too basic 

Now to the questions 

1. Which components do you recommend for compatibility? (can PN5180 be connected in this  

manner: PN5180 <-> SAM <-> Host?)  

*For my host processor I am thinking of using a wifi module from STM with STM32 ARM Cortex-M3 MCU* 

2. Is peer to peer communication expected in this kind of system? - As you can see I wish to  

use some sort of safe communication / authentication mechanism between reader and  

phone. 

These are two questions to begin with. I have to warn you I will have more when I decide which  

components to use :-) 

Outcomes