cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexbus ALE

martindusek
Contributor V

Hi,

I use 74LVC574A to latch address on Flexbus on rising edge of ALE signal. However latching (and thus my interface to SRAM) works only if I delay a little the ALE signal (the delay is achived by connecting 330 pF capacitor between ALE and GND). The problem is that the latch sometimes and on some address lines latch old value of address lines, because the change of the address happens with rising edge of ALE signal and the new address value is missed by a short moment.

So, is latching supposed to be working with ALE directly connected to CP pin of D flip-flop? If so, then there is something wrong with my PCB. My Address/data lines are directly connected to 4 components - MCU, latch, SRAM and CPLD (Altera MAX V). The length of the lines is 3 inch max. Maybe too much capacitance on these lines, which delays signal on address lines causing latch of old values?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Martin,

You did not mention the part number you are using, anyway, I suppose you use Kinetis for example K64.

Regarding your question, I suppose that the issue is related to the layout of the address lines, I give you two suggestions:

1)set the EXTS bit in FB_CSCRn, which will extend the address latch signal.

2)decrease the FlexBus clcok frequency. For example, the maximum FlexBus clock frequency is 50MHz for K64, if you reduce it to 25MHz, what is the result?

Hope it can help you

BR

Xiangjun Rong

I post the clock distribution for K64:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

martindusek
Contributor V

Hi Xiangjun,

thanks for your reply. My part is MK22FN512VLL12. I divided Flexbus clock more, it is now 7,5 MHz. Still the same issue.

Without cap

without_cap.jpg

Write/read to the same address with capacitor connected to ALE.

with_cap.jpg

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Martin,

It seems that you select wrong D-type flip-flop, the FB_ALE is falling-edge trigger rather than rising-edge trigger, but it seems that the 74LVC574A is rising-edge trigger, you have to select a D-type flip flop with falling edge trigger. Pls check yourself.

Hope it can help you.

BR

XiangJun Rong

FlexBus timing from RM of K22.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

martindusek
Contributor V

I noticed that ALE can be negated by setting FB_CSPMCR_GROUP1 = 2 (then you call the signal FB_TS) so there is no need to use falling edge triggered D flip flop. But still, the addres is not latched properly. I assume it is still the same problem - FB_TS rising edge and address lines deassert happens at the same moment. 

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Martin,

Firstly, you are right that ALE can be negated by setting FB_CSPMCR_GROUP1 = 2 (then you call the signal FB_TS) so there is no need to use falling edge triggered D flip flop.

Have you tried to set the CSCRn[EXTS] = 1? There is a note that "When EXTS is set, CSCRn[WS] must be programmed to have
at least one primary wait state".

If the above solution is invalid, as you said that the address track on the PCB is too long.

BTW, try to reduce the FlexBus clock frequency and check the result.

BR

Xiangjun Rong

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

martindusek
Contributor V

Hi Xiangjun,

I already have 1 WS and I tried to set EXTS = 1 - it doesn't work. However, I'm not sure how prolonging the duration of address cycle can help. You write that the latching should occur on falling edge and there is no change in relation of falling edge and address presence on lines if I set EXTS to 1 or to 0.

I'm not electronics expert but I don't understand how latching address on Flexbus can work if edges of latching signal happen coincidentally with the change of the address to be latched. Is there a guarantee that the address is held on lines some time after falling edge of latching signal occurs (or is address present on lines some time before rising edge of latchin signal occurs)? At the moment I can't imagine how address latching on Flexbus can work without some additional circuitry added between MCU and the latch (in my case capacitor to delay the latching signal is sufficient).

0 Kudos

martindusek
Contributor V

I probably got it. There is FB_CSCR_ASET parameter that controls address setup time.

0 Kudos

martindusek
Contributor V

OK, thanks. I will try falling edge latch or I will keep the cap on ALE line.

FYI Here, your colleague recommends 74lvc573a latch (latch on high value of ALE). I'm quite sure tthat here will be similar problem that I experience with D flip flop latching on rising edge.

0 Kudos

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

The difference between the 573 and 574 is more than just which edge it clocks on.

The 573 is a a follow&hold device, while the 574 is a true D-Flip-Flop.

0 Kudos