Changing Rated Current RMS Value in KMS GUI Above 5.1A?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Rated Current RMS Value in KMS GUI Above 5.1A?

derekcook
Senior Contributor I

Hello, 

I am trying to use the KMS GUI with my custom hardware and my own motor. I need to set the rated current RMS value to 37.5A. The GUI gives me an error that I cannot set this value above 5.1A. Is there a way I can override this to allow 37.5A? 

Thanks, 

Derek

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

linestream-adam
Senior Contributor I

Derek,

The maximum value of 5.1A for Rated Current RMS comes from the Maximum Phase Current value. The Maximum Phase Current needs to be the value of the motor phase current when the ADC reads 3.3V.  For the reference hardware the Maximum Phase Current is 8A.

The relationship is that the Rated Current RMS cannot be larger than Maximum Phase Current / sqrt(2).  This is to ensure that KMS doesn't attempt to control a current it can't actually read.

If you want to run with that larger current you need to be on your own hardware that can handle (and sense) the larger phase currents.

That being said, in PMSM (and BLDC) motors current is directly proportional to the torque. So even if your motor is rated for 37.5A, unless you are running in a situation where that amount of torque is required you can set this value to the maximum of 5.1A and KMS should be able to run your motor just fine.

KMS only uses the Rated Current RMS in order to establish how much current to use for the Self Commissioning and Inertia tests and to saturate the Speed loop output.

0 Kudos