Is it possible to run MIPI DSI and Parallel LCD displays simultaneously on the i.MX 7?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to run MIPI DSI and Parallel LCD displays simultaneously on the i.MX 7?

johnathanfeuers
Contributor II

I see that MIPI DSI and Parallel LCD displays are driven by the same LCDIF display controller (from "Figure 13-1 Chip display and camera subsystem" figure in the TRM) on the i.MX 7.

Is it possible to run both displays at the same time? Is it just a matter of setting the display timing parameters properly? Or is the controller limited to only running 1 of these displays at a time?

Regards,

John Feuerstein

0 Kudos
3 Replies

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello John ,

i.MX7D only supports one display channel at the same time. Dual display ports(such as , MIPI DSI + LCDIF) are not supported.

Have a nice day!

TIC weidong sun

0 Kudos

johnathanfeuers
Contributor II

Hello,

Any feedback to my follow-up question?

Regards,

John Feuerstein

0 Kudos

johnathanfeuers
Contributor II

Hello,

Thank you for the response! I just want to follow up with a few more questions.

I initially attempted to use both displays at the same time and we found that the parallel LCD display was showing a distorted image (just some random color bars) that was roughly the same size as the image that was shown properly on our MIPI display. Could it be possible to display the same images on both displays at the same time, rather than using both as separate channels? Perhaps if proper timings were used that worked for both displays?

Could you provide anymore information about the output from the LCDIF controller to the MIPI DSI phy internally? I am curious if the LCDIF output to MIPI matches what is sent out to the parallel LCD display? Or is it handled differently when sent to the MIPI display phy? (See below for a snapshot of the block diagram from the TRM)

pastedImage_1.png

Thank you,

John Feuerstein

0 Kudos