MPxx5004 temperature ratings.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPxx5004 temperature ratings.

robertwuest
Contributor I

The temperature rating numbers are confusing for this series of sensors.  There is the "Ambient Operating Temperature (Min-Max) (°C)" value of -40 to 100 from the Product selector.  That looks good to me.  But then there are two numbers on the datasheet Absolute Maximum Ratings table: Storage Temperature of -30 to 100 °C and Operating temperature of 0 to 85 °C.  Which is it?

My application would be in an environment -40 to 85 °C, but the sensor would only be read when the temperature was in the 0-60 °C range (it would always be powered).

Robert

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Robert,

Exposing the MPxx5004 to -40 °C is beyond the spec limits of the device so although the sensor may work fine for your application, we cannot guarantee the sensor will operate properly.

The issue is the Gel inside the sensor can stiffen at temperatures below -30 °C. The stiffening can cause the wire bonds to break. There is a guard band associated with this so depending how often, how long and much below -30 °C the device is exposed to, the sensor may be okay for your application. You would have to do your own testing and validation.

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos