IPU Initialization to enable display during the bootloader

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPU Initialization to enable display during the bootloader

jasona
Contributor I
I am new to the iMX family of processors and I need to be able to display some text before the OS image is launched.  I have the BSP for platform builder and I am looking through the IPU code tree to help with this process.  I would like to know if there is some other example code that I can look?  It would be a plus if this code demonstrated the minimum set of registers that need to initialized to get an image displayed on the screen.  Any help is appricated.

Thanks,
Jason
0 Kudos
4 Replies

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Jason,

In the MX27/MX31 BSPs an image is displayed during kernel bootup. You can see the detail of the implementation by looking at this patch: http://www.bitshrine.org/gpp/linux-2.6.24-mx-Add-MX27-MX31-and-MX32-splash-screens-to-k.patch

Regards,

Fabio Estevam
0 Kudos

jasona
Contributor I
Fabio,
Thanks for the response.  I am looking how I can do this same thing in the boot loader before the boot loader launches the OS.  Can you point me into a code sample direction that will allow me to do this in the boot loader?

Thanks,
Jason
0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Jason,

Basically what you need to do in your bootloader is to initiliaze the LCD controller and then you can load your image in the framebuffer memory.

As a reference you can use the concept done on the MX27: http://www.emgware.com/low_cost_imx_tools/

(Look at Video5 and iMX27 Scripts)

This is initiliazation is done via JTAG, but you could add it to your bootloader code.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos

jasona
Contributor I
Fabio,
Thanks for the link it got me closer.  Unfortunately, I am still not able to get an image or just text to display in my boot loader.  I have gone over the IPU documentation and looked at the WinCE driver initialization.  I am thinking that there must be a control register that I have not gotten initialized properly but I cannot seem to find it.  Any suggestions would be appricated.

Regards,
Jason
0 Kudos