AnsweredAssumed Answered

i.MX RT1050 Hyperflash Vs QSPI Vs SDRAM

Question asked by Martin Smith on Mar 13, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 20, 2018 by Yuri Muhin

Hi, I'm starting a hardware design using the i.MX RT1050 and am scratching my head about what memory to use. I think the program I end up with will be too large to load into the internal RAM memory and run from there, so I believe the options I'm left with are:

1. XIP from QSPI - Easy and cheap, but the QSPI will have approx. 100 MB/s bandwidth? which will severely limit the performance of the i.MX RT1050
  2. XIP from Hyperflash - More work to put onto a PCB (12 lines), but faster 300 - 400 MB/s bandwidth. Will still throttle back the performance of the processor but not by too much? Big problem with this is that NONE of the Hyperflash ICs seem to be available in any of the usual places (Mouser, Digikey, etc) and have massive lead-times (42 weeks, seriously!?!)
  3. Add external SDRAM and QSPI to the PCB and load the program on boot up into the external SDRAM and run from there - Most work to put on a PCB and again will throttle back the processor performance (~400 MB's bandwidth?), but has been around for a while and cheaper and more available than Hyperflash

Has anyone got any opinions on this? Which way should I go and are there any other memory configurations I have missed?

Thanks

Martin 

Outcomes