cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MKV58 MCU JTAG programming guide

ahmedbajwa
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm part of a student team using the MKV58 MCU by NXP. we're using the TWR-KV58F220M development board to develop the firmware but our end-product requires a new MCU on a custom-made PCB. I was wondering if there were resources regarding the hardware pinout details of the MCU for JTAG programming. Additionally, it would be extremely helpful if you could also point me to a compatible SEGGER JLINK device for the MCU as I noticed some of the segger devices are not compatible with the TWR-KV58F220M JTAG port. 

Any help with the hardware would be very very appreciated. I've attached a snip of the JTAG Cortex header from the TWR-KV58F220M system. If I were to reproduce the same system with the same pinouts, would that enable me to program the MCU properly or would I need to make some hardware changes to make the MCU programmable using a JTAG interface and a JLINK device?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
1 Reply

chris_brown
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ahmed,

My advice would be to follow that circuit schematic as you posted.  The important pins to note are pins 1 - 10 on J13. The second half of the header is just for trace capabilities.  So if you're not interested in trace those could be left off and a 10 pin header could be used.  

You don't necessarily need J17 either, but if you have the space you may include it.  In my experience, not many customers have a real need to provide that power.  

As for the Segger, as long as you purchase one that supports a Cortex-M7 you should be good.  I believe anything below version 9.0 doesn't support an M7.  So I think if you purchase a new student version (JLINK EDU) you should be ok.  You may want to contact segger directly via their website to confirm that.  

Regards,

Chris 

0 Kudos