Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating Zigbee Products

Jump to solution
davidashraf
Contributor V
Hello everyone ,
I am trying to integrate commercial home automation products that uses ZigBee with my network, so that I can control these devices from my hub.
Is there an application note or something that helps developing such app ? 
How the process goes or what I need to do to accelerate the development?

I am planning to use ZigBee dongle with IoT Gateway control bridge to control the network and the added devices.
Please help.
Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi David,

I'm sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought do you want to design the gateway IoT with an Ethernet MCU.

Is this possible to achieve ? and is there any example or application note supporting this?
What are the challenges and considerations I would need?

You can add another Zigbee product. As you know, the ZigBee protocol is a standard and all the products should be compatibles, that is the reason for Zigbee Alliance.

Also, you have to be sure that the stack is compatible, for example,
The JN-AN-1189 is a simple demonstration from ZigBee Home Automation Profile Specification version 1.2.2, so, the external device has to be compatible this version and the stack that you are working on(ZHA, ZLL, ZB3...).

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Mario

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi David,

You are working with the Control Bridge for the Zigbee devices. I recommended the LCP 54618. LPC546XX|NXP 

Download the SDK https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/dashboard,and take a look at the HTTP server that we provide.

As you know the MCU supports Ethernet MAC with MII/RMII interface with Audio Video Bridging (AVB) support and dedicated DMA controller.

Please let me know if the information was useful.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos
davidashraf
Contributor V

Hi mario_castaneda , 
Thanks for your reply.

Is there a problem with JN516x based modules ? 
The job I want to do is to be able to communicate wirelessly with other zigbee devices using zigbee protocol.
I'm trying to achieve interoperability for my hub to be able to integrate other different zigbee products with it.

Is this possible to achieve ? and is there any example or application note supporting this ?
What are the challenges and considerations I would need ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi David,

I'm sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought do you want to design the gateway IoT with an Ethernet MCU.

Is this possible to achieve ? and is there any example or application note supporting this?
What are the challenges and considerations I would need?

You can add another Zigbee product. As you know, the ZigBee protocol is a standard and all the products should be compatibles, that is the reason for Zigbee Alliance.

Also, you have to be sure that the stack is compatible, for example,
The JN-AN-1189 is a simple demonstration from ZigBee Home Automation Profile Specification version 1.2.2, so, the external device has to be compatible this version and the stack that you are working on(ZHA, ZLL, ZB3...).

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Mario

0 Kudos
davidashraf
Contributor V

Hi mario_castanedahanks again for your reply.

If I used ZB3 as a stack version willl it be compatible with other stack versions ? 
Is there any method to guarantee that I can make my system compatible with every possible zigbee device?

I want to try for example integrating Philips Hue to control it from my coordinator.
Are there any parameters I would need to know and take care of while coding my coordinator other than the profile type?

Thanks.
David

0 Kudos
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi David,

Yes, It should be compatible, but you have to be sure the Coordinator, in this case, has enabled the ZLL, then you have to share the key of the network that you want to add the external device.

Regards,

Mario

davidashraf
Contributor V

Hi mario_castanedahat's helpful thank you!
Finally is there any custom (device specific)  settings I should take care of in my code other than the shared key ?
should I search for documents for each device I want to integrate and apply some settings ? maybe some custom messages to achieve some function ?  

Many thanks 
David

0 Kudos
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi David,

As you know, that is one of the features of Zigbee, interoperability.

There are also Zigbee stacks are not certified, don't count interoperability with these stacks. Nonetheless, You can be sure, if the device has a certified stack, you won't have any problem.

Regards,
Mario

0 Kudos