MK24FN256VDC12 can enable internal pull-up register when open drain output

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MK24FN256VDC12 can enable internal pull-up register when open drain output

isaotakashima
Contributor IV

I made the our evaluation board using the MK24FN256VDC12.

I want to reset external device using PTA1 with open drain output mode (PORTA_PCR1[ODE] = 1). I understand that require external pull-up resistor in this case, but our board does not have it.

Can I use internal pull-up resistor by PORTA_PCR1[PE] = 1 and PORTA_PCR1[PS] = 1 in open drain mode?

Anyway, I confirmed that I can use internal pull-up resistor with above settings (PE=1, PS=1) in open drain mode (ODE=1) using FRDM-K64F.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Takashima

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Isao Takashima 

Internal pull up is a weak resistor, so we normally recommend an external pullup, but this depends in the impedance needed for your application. If you already test this is a frdm board, then I don't see any problem, K24 and K64 are not different in GPIO module.

Hope this helps.
Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

isaotakashima
Contributor IV

Dear Jorge Antonio Alcala Vazquez,

Thank you for your reply.

We understand that Internal pull up is a weak resistor (according to data sheet it pull up is 20 - 50kohm), but we want to reduce BOM cost and board sapce.

We would like to make sure below description of PE bit of PORTx_PCRn register.

================================================================

Pull Enable
Pull configuration is valid in all digital pin muxing modes.
0 Internal pullup or pulldown resistor is not enabled on the corresponding pin.
1 Internal pullup or pulldown resistor is enabled on the corresponding pin, if the pin is configured as a digital input.

================================================================

For our understanding, this ”Pull Enable" function is effective only when pin is set to input.

Why can we use internal pull up even though we set  the pin to Open Drain output (ODE=1)?

Is it because the pin is not driven when outputting HIGH?

Please teach us as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Takashima

0 Kudos

jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Isao

For our understanding, this ”Pull Enable" function is effective only when pin is set to input.

Why can we use internal pull up even though we set  the pin to Open Drain output (ODE=1)?

Sorry for this, Reference Manual gives an unclear description. You can actully use the internal pullup with Open Drain Output, there is no a problem here. Thanks for the comments

Hope this helps
Have a great day,
TIC

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos