Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LS1046A RDB not booting: mbed problem?

Jump to solution
ruudpendavingh
Contributor II

I've just setup my LS1046A RDB kit and followed the Getting Started Guide:

Downloaded and installed the mbed serial port driver and installed Tera Term,

When connecting the USB cable between console port and PC, Windows shows an USB drive/folder for a short period, and then is disappears. This continues on and on. The green LED D8 periodically blinks (like the CMSIS-DAP controller is rebooting).

Sometimes it becomes stable, and the USB folder contains a file fail.txt with content: SWD ERROR.

Any suggestions (We have 2 kits with the same problem)?

Labels (1)
1 Solution
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This is the workaround confirmed to fix the mbed issue on Win10 PC's

-    Go to the “Start” option on the PC and type the command  “ Services”
-    Than you should see the following “Services” window open.
-    Select the “Storage Service” and on the left-hand side of the window click the “Stop the service”

Services-Win10.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
leon_vak
Contributor I

I am facing a very similar problem. My first use of this board, out of the box, working with the Getting Started guide LS1046ARDBGSG. The guide states that the D8 LED should be on when the cable is connected, actually it blinks. Disabling the Storage Service has no effect. Moreover, when connecting the USB cable to a Linux machine, it also detects it as a mass storage device with the same files there.

In my case, though, I can see several files in a disk labeled BOOTLOADER. It seems to me like a board configuration issue, I've verified that the switches and all are in default positions. When applying power with the switch, the USB connection is not present at all, and D8 does not switch on.

pastedImage_1.png

Edit:

Right, so I've read the relevant related post here: LS1043ARDB-PD USB console can't work, and followed it closely. I've entirely disabled the Storage Service in Windows, followed all instructions carefully. After copying the k22fx512 binary to the BOOTLOADER drive (the LED flashes quicker), and installing the mbed driver again, I've suddenly seen a new COM port in device manager! Connecting to it showed nothing on the terminal, though, so I've reconnected the cable, and got the BOOTLOADER again.

From this moment and on, I'm stuck with the BOOTLOADER - whenever I copy the k22fx512 binary on it, it does everything as in the manual, but then restarts in BOOTLOADER again. Stuck in a loop.

0 Kudos
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please check that you have preformed the following steps.

Plug in power to the board.

Hold down Reset button while plugging the PC USB cable into the CSAM USB connector on the board.
On Windows, the board will be mapped as a Mass Storage Device under a volume labelled 'BOOTLOADER'.
LED for MBED status will blink in green on the board to acknowledge it is in bootloader mode.

1. Copy the CMSIS-DAP firmware binary, into this new volume, ‘BOOTLOADER’
2. Wait the binary copy to finish; LED for MBED status will blink with higher rate on finish;
3. Unplug the USB cable from the board, then plug it back in to power cycle the module

0 Kudos
leon_vak
Contributor I

Yes, this is the flow. If I continue your flow, I'm getting the BOOTLOADER flash drive again. The same happens if I don't apply power at all, just plug the USB to the CONSOLE input.

I got it up once only, but not sure how. I've removed the battery, the power, and the USB, and removed the MCU_RST jumper (J26 in this board). If I'm not mistaken, in this condition I've returned the battery and then plugged the USB (CONSOLE input), and it worked - the LED was on and slightly blinking as data is transferred, and I've seen a normal boot to Linux. There was a flash drive opened with mbed.htm file in it instead of bootload.htm. But when I switched it all off, it returned to the same bootload loop problem. Moreover, when the MCU_RST humper is disconnected, I can't connect at all, so maybe I don't remember exactly how I reached normal operation. Can't recreate it.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please doublecheck that the Windows Storage Service really is disabled.

0 Kudos
leon_vak
Contributor I

Yes, it is fully disabled:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

May be you could set SW4[4]=OFF and connect UART console through the RG45 port (J4)?

0 Kudos
leon_vak
Contributor I

Yes, thank you, this works as expected. Guess I'll not be using the CONSOLE connection, and stick to a USB-to-Serial adaptor.

0 Kudos
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This is the workaround confirmed to fix the mbed issue on Win10 PC's

-    Go to the “Start” option on the PC and type the command  “ Services”
-    Than you should see the following “Services” window open.
-    Select the “Storage Service” and on the left-hand side of the window click the “Stop the service”

Services-Win10.jpg

0 Kudos