Building Zigbee Application on Linux

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Zigbee Application on Linux

dmsherazi
Contributor IV

I use Ubuntu as my development machine, Is there a way to build zigbee applications on it. I see that NXP beyond studio is available for windows only. 

How to build on Ubuntu?  I see that there is a Beyond Studio for Linux available from beyond semi but I am not sure if Zigbee development for JN516x can be done on it!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

usaygo
Contributor III

I'm not sure about ZigBee PRO stack, but building MAC based application is fine also in Linux and macOS system. 

By seeing makefile from ZigBee PRO, it seems difficult because some tools are provided only in Windows .exe file. The rough procedure is as below:

1. download toolchain (refer to JonasH's post.)

2. download JN-SW-4168 from NXP web site. This archive contains an exe file, but it can be unzipped.

3. install #1 and #2 at your Linux system.

note: the toolchain location is defined at makefiles from SDK. you may need to adjust it. In the $(SDK_BASE_DIR)/Chip/Common/Build/config.mk, toolchains PATH in the makefile is defined as below. Re-define or edit them to match your installation.
  TOOL_BASE_DIR ?= $(SDK_BASE_DIR)/Tools
  TOOL_COMMON_BASE_DIR ?= $(SDK_BASE_DIR)/../Tools

4. download application notes (e.g. AN1184) and extract them.

5. tailor makefiles in the example.

important part is SDK_BASE_DIR. This should be the path to the #2.
SDK_BASE_DIR = ../../../../sdk/$(JENNIC_SDK) 

However $(OSCONFIG) $(PDUMCONFIG) $(ZPSCONFIG) in the makefile is the windows tools that will generate codes. This is the most challenging issue of the Linux environment. You may need to make an alternative command (or make these generated file from windows).

Also this makefile includes other makefiles from SDK directory and these makefiles might not consider about case sensitive filesystem. If the case, you need to edit these files if you encounter an build error.

0 Kudos

JonasH
Contributor I
0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

Currently, BeyondStudio for NXP can be used with the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows 7 and 8.

Sorry for the inconvenience this might cause you. 

Best Regards, 

Estephania 

0 Kudos

dmsherazi
Contributor IV

I can understand there is no Beyond studio for Linux but can you provide us steps to build using the make file system of Linux. At the end your beyond studio utilizes msys to run make commands on windows. It would make development easier for those who use Linux as their development machines 

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I'm really sorry, but we do not have any guide that with those steps. 

Nonetheless, we really appreciate the feedback and I'll communicate it to the development team. In case I got any information I'll post it here

Regards, 

Estephania

0 Kudos