Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U-boot Logo Splash Display

davidzhou
Contributor V

Hi,

I have an imx6ul development board.

I have managed displaying customized LOGO Splash on LCD through u-boot (drivers\video\cfb_console.c) .

I found that the image is faded during the kernel loading and goes to totally black during the LCD driver in the kernel re-initializing.

I am not sure is there a way to prove that, such as delayed kernel LCD loading, disable re-initialization totally, combining kernel LCD driver with u-boot LCD driver, etc.

Can someone give me some suggestions what is a better way to prove it?

Thank you,

David Zhou

8 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David

please look at uboot logo patches

Patch to support uboot logo keep from uboot to kernel for NXP Linux and Android BSP (HDMI, LCD and L... 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

davidzhou
Contributor V

Hi Igor,

I started to modify the U-boot and Kernel for the logo display.

But first thing is the LOGO display fades to white screen as soon as the U-boot calls

boot_jump_linux()

and transferring control to kernel. (Starting Kernel…)

I don’t see any code patch for U-boot to keep the logo displayed. If the display starts fading when control handles over to kernel, doesn’t matter to make kernel LCD driver as late init nad uses Uboot LCD. Did I miss something?

Or I am using a different version of uboot LCD driver code?

Thank you,

David Zhou

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David

could you try with nxp uboot/linux releases described on

https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/run-time-software/i.mx-developer-resources/i.mx-6ser...

Best regards
igor
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

davidzhou
Contributor V

HI Igor,

I figured out that the LCD display is turned-off in the arch_preboot_os before transferring the control to kernel.

Thank you,

David Zhou

0 Kudos

circum
Contributor I

Hi David, Igor,

This issue affects me, too.

Does it mean that you did not find a solution to this problem? It means that it is not possible to display an optimal quality splash screen during the total boot process of the imx6 colibri? I.e., there will be a small gap while the lcd is not refreshed and fades to white?

Regards,

Ferenc

0 Kudos

davidzhou
Contributor V

Hi Igor, Ferenc,

I moved splash logo into Uboot, so it displays about 1 sec. I made changes to kernel LCD driver not be loaded during initialization. It is loaded until it is enabled by a user space driver, which is called by application.

It seems to be working. More tests is needed.

Regards,

David Zhou

0 Kudos

dtran11
Contributor I

I also see a blip on the display when transitioning uboot to kernel. I use the same image for both splash logo. Did you confirm that the solution is to not reinitialize the display module in the kernel? thanks

0 Kudos

davidzhou
Contributor V

Thank you, Igor.

David

0 Kudos