Will kADC16_ReferenceVoltageSourceValt allow me to use the 1.2 volt reference of my MK80FN256VDC for the ADC reference voltage?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will kADC16_ReferenceVoltageSourceValt allow me to use the 1.2 volt reference of my MK80FN256VDC for the ADC reference voltage?

fkostedt77
Contributor I

Will kADC16_ReferenceVoltageSourceValt in the ADC16_Init allow me to use the 1.2 volt reference of my MK80FN256VDC for the ADC reference voltage?  Presently the VREFH pin is tied to VDDA and I would like the ability to usse the 1.2 volt reference for the ADC without changing the board layout.  I have based my external circuitry on the 1.2 volt VREF_OUT and want to optimize my ADC resolution by using 1.2 volts as my VREFH for the ADC.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Fred,

If you want to use the 1.2 volt reference of MK80FN256VDC for the ADC reference voltage, please enable the VREF module(read the "Chapter 39 VREF: Voltage Reference Driver" of MCUXpresso SDK API Reference Manual_MK80F25615).

Chapter 39 VREF Voltage Reference Driver.jpg

A 100 nF capacitor must always be connected between VREF_OUT and VSSA if the VREF is being used.

Chapter 43 Voltage Reference (VREFV1).jpg

Best Regards,

Robin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

fkostedt77
Contributor I

Hello Robin,

Thank you for your thorough information about setting up VREF for use.  I have found that I have VREF set up correctly.  I have also found that if I set:  adcUserConfig.referenceVoltageSource = kADC16_ReferenceVoltageSourceValt;

I switch to using VREF for the ADC reference.  My confusion lies in the fact that a compiler definition: BOARD_ADC_USE_ALT_VREF is not getting defined and it was forcing my code to skip the Valt setting.  I am curious where this should get defined.  I would have thought it would be in the board.h file but the code for my FRDM-K82F board does not have it defined.  I would have thought the K82 and K80 would allow use of this compiler switch.

While I have your ear can you also help me determine why I have a 4.4 MHz sawtooth signal on my VREF output on my FRDM-K82F board.  The maximum and minimum voltage of the sawtooth goes from 1.8 to 1.2 volts.  On my target board I have a steady 1.2 volts and it uses the same setup for VREF.

Best Regards,

Fred

0 Kudos