Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blinking across multiple PCA9745B LED drivers

Jump to solution
oliverebert
Contributor I

Hello,

we're using two (SPI-)daisy-chained NXP PCA9745B LED drivers and want to blink some LEDs synchronously on both ICs.  The respective LEDs of each driver are associated with a LED group that is configured identically on both ICs.  The gradation start command is issued simultaneously to both ICs.  While the LEDs on each IC are blinking in sync (as expected), the blinking frequencies between different ICs seem to differ and the blinking LEDs diverge pretty quickly!  I don't see any facilities for synchronizing multiple drivers (except for using the /OE pin for external dimming/blinking?)... am I missing something?  Is this use case even supported by the drivers?

How would one go about blinking LEDs synchronously across multiple PCA9745B LED drivers?

Thanks and regards

Oliver

0 Kudos
1 Solution
oliverebert
Contributor I

An FAE from our distributor confirmed that it is indeed not possible to synchronize two or more PCA9745Bs to achieve e.g. synchronous gradation operation as described above.  This is due to the spread of the 8 MHz internal oscillator frequencies across different ICs (presumably 20--30%?), and an input for an external clock is not available.  Anyway, this seems like a missed opportunity ...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
oliverebert
Contributor I

An FAE from our distributor confirmed that it is indeed not possible to synchronize two or more PCA9745Bs to achieve e.g. synchronous gradation operation as described above.  This is due to the spread of the 8 MHz internal oscillator frequencies across different ICs (presumably 20--30%?), and an input for an external clock is not available.  Anyway, this seems like a missed opportunity ...

0 Kudos