How to calibrate ADC readings of MPC5643L in Volt?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calibrate ADC readings of MPC5643L in Volt?

peter_vranken
Contributor IV

For the MPC5643L, analog to digital conversion, I don't find a clear statement about the reference voltage the ADC uses and which to relate the digital result register readings to:

I understand the MCU reference manual such that the analog supply voltage is the reference voltage at the same time and that this voltage can be chosen as 3.3 V or 5 V. If so, the reference voltage would depend on the external circuitry and for my TRK-USB-MPC5643L it would be 3.3 V.

On the other hand mentions the reference manual the internal analog source VREG_1.2V that is connected to channel 10 of boths ADCs. No further explanation is given on this signal source. The name indicates that it is a constant voltage source of 1.2 V. On my boards this signal is however measured as 1.3 V if I assume the reference voltage as said in the previous paragraph, i.e. as 3.3 V.

Is it correct that signal VREG_1.2V, ADC channel 10, should read as 1.2 V? If so, is it intended to relate all other channels to this reading, like: 

const float factor = 1.2f / (float)(ADC_0.CDR[10].R & 0xfff0);

float u0 = factor * (float)(ADC_0.CDR[0].R & 0xfff0)
          , u1 = factor * (float)(ADC_0.CDR[1].R & 0xfff0)

, ...
          , u8 = factor * (float)(ADC_0.CDR[8].R & 0xfff0);

Is this the way to calibrate the ADC readings in Volt?

Tags (1)
2 Replies

peter_vranken
Contributor IV

Thanks for your response, David, but my question is a bit different. I don't find clearly documented, what the reference voltage is: Is it the analog supply voltage of the MCU?

If so, the accuracy would be limited on my board (normal power supply IC) and I wonder if measuring the internal signal VREG_1.2V can help to improve it: If this is an internally generated (high accuracy) reference voltage then I could sample and convert it and use the result to scale the external ADC channels, too. This has been sketched in the lines of code above.

0 Kudos

davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

For 12 bit shifted 2 bits left conversion formula is (considering 5V reference):
ResultInMv = (5000*Result)/((2^12-1)<<2) = (5000*Result)/0x3FFC;

If your ADC reference is 3.3V, then it is:

ResultInMv = (3300*Result)/((2^12-1)<<2) = (3300*Result)/0x3FFC;

Yes, if you change reference voltage, digital code of converted 1.2V channel is different.