cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting with TWR-KV58F220

patricio
Contributor IV

Hello,

I worked with FRDM-KL25Z and CodeWarrior in the past, but now I surely will start working with the TWR-KV58F tower board.

However, I am quite confused about the software tools I should use with this board:

What is the difference between Kinetis Desing Studio (KDS) and Kinetis Software Development Kit (SDK). Which of them should I use to work with the TWR board? 

What about the MCUxpreso? Should I use it as well?

Can I work in Windows XP?

Thank you in advance. 

BR.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

chris_brown
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Aitor,

Have you tried following the instructions at www.nxp.com/twr-kv58f220m/startnow?

Kinetis Design Studio is a free Integrated Development Environment (IDE) similar to MCUXpresso or IAR's Embedded Workbench.  It allows you to compile C code for your processor and program and debug your part.  Kinetis Software Development Kit is the software that would be compiled by the IDE.  So KDS and the SDK would be used in conjunction with each other.  

You can use whatever IDE you are most comfortable with.  We (NXP) had originally launched the KV58 development board when Kinetis Design Studio was the featured free tool (before MCUXpresso was created) so that is why it is featured on the KV58 development board webpage.  

Any of the IDE's that we feature / support should operate in Windows XP.  

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion you may have.  

Regards,

Chris 

0 Kudos

patricio
Contributor IV

Thanks a lot Chris.

I`ve got it a bit clearer now. 

I tried to follow getting started video as you say, but I am not able to see the NXP videos and I don´t know why. 

BR.

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Aitor,

As Chris said that you could use KDS tools and MCUXpresso tools to develop code for KV58 and KSDK is a software package.

If you use KDS tools, you can develop code without KSDK package, in other words, you can write peripheral register directly without using driver of KSDK, the KDS tools provides the peripheral register address in a  *.h file so that you can access the peripheral register, furthermore, the KDS can generate the initialization code and vector table withour KSDK. In conclusion, KDS tools can work with or without KSDK package.

If you use MCUXpresso tools, you have to use KSDK to develop code.

When you download KSDK, the KSDK package will direct you to selcet the tools KDS or MCUXpresso.

hope it can help you

BR

Xiangjun rong

0 Kudos