Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable display manager on hdmi output

Jump to solution
rans
Senior Contributor I

Hello,

I am trying to disable X11.

I need to use the hdmi output for other purpose.

I first disabled desktop environment with:

systemctl set-default multi-user.target

Then I stopped having the gnome , but I get xterm terminal in hdmi.

trying to kill the process did not help, because it is always creates a new xterm process.

I also changed bootargs and removed the console=115200,ttymxc0 , yet I still get the terminal and I keep getting the process

root@imx6qsabresd:/etc# ps aux | grep xter
root       395  0.0  0.0   2200  1404 ttymxc0  Ss+  13:41   0:00 /sbin/agetty -8 -L ttymxc0 115200 xterm

Not sure which service is responsible for that.

Is there a way to disable xterm ?

I even created fb distro, but even then xterm is still showing in hdmi output !!! Is there a way to get rid of it ?

Thank you

Ran

1 Solution
rans
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Are they competing with each other ?

I mean is it that xterm always write to framebuffer, while other user of x11 is also writing to framebuffer ? Or is it that there is some priority ?

I see that when I stop the gstreamer pipeline, automatically xterm pop in.

Does it mean that xterm keep writing periofically ?

I also see that when using gstreamer pipeline , if I click the keyboard, then for a split of a second, I see the keys that I clicked on screen.

So, does it mean it keep writing periodically or only when there is event of keyboard ?

Thank you,

Ran

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Ran,

The console is being shown on the display as it’s the default output and there is no other information being sent to the HDMI. I would recommend sending either a splash screen or your application to the HDMI framebuffer just to take over the default behavior.

I would recommend that over trying to disable xterm as I haven’t tried it but it is most likely a persistent process so there is always access to the console in case it’s needed.

Regards,

rans
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Are they competing with each other ?

I mean is it that xterm always write to framebuffer, while other user of x11 is also writing to framebuffer ? Or is it that there is some priority ?

I see that when I stop the gstreamer pipeline, automatically xterm pop in.

Does it mean that xterm keep writing periofically ?

I also see that when using gstreamer pipeline , if I click the keyboard, then for a split of a second, I see the keys that I clicked on screen.

So, does it mean it keep writing periodically or only when there is event of keyboard ?

Thank you,

Ran

0 Kudos