AnsweredAssumed Answered

Problem Importing FRDM-LS1012A RCW

Question asked by Tony Garland on Dec 8, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 18, 2018 by Brett Stahlman

I am trying to turn on a custom board using the LS1012A.  I had hoped to use the CodeWarrior QCVS component to first load a known valid RCW from the FRDM-LS1012A development board (in the QorIQ SDK) and then tweak the settings to account for the differences between the FRDM-LS1012A and my board.

Unfortunately, I encounter an error when I import the "known good" RCW binary for the FRDM-LS1012A into the PBL component.  On import, it generates the warning:

Warning: PBL: Not supported value of `SRDS_DIV_PEX[176-177]` detected during import, custom value '0b00' can be used only if "Ignore Constraints and non-Critical Errors" option is turned ON.

Sure enough, the xxd Object Dump shows that bits 176-177 are set to 0b00 rather than 0b01:

FRDM-LS1012A RCW

So I'm puzzled as to why the RCW for the FRDM-LS1012A which yocto built (QorIQ-SDK-V2.0-20160527-yocto/build_ls1012afrdm/tmp/deploy/images/ls1012afrdm/rcw/ls1012afrdm/N_SSNP_3305/PBL_0x33_0x05_800_250_1000_default.bin) and which appears to come from SRC_URI = "git://git.freescale.com/ppc/sdk/ls2-rcw.git;branch=sdk-v2.0.x" (ls2-rcw.git/ls1012afrdm/N_SSNP_3305/PBL_0x33_0x05_800_250_1000_default.bin) has this illegal value for bit 177?

I'm also puzzled about what a person is supposed to do in this instance?  If I disable the constraints and error checking, then I the tool won't help me avoid errors in my own work.  Plus, I'm guessing it will leave bit 177 set to 0 in my results too--which doesn't seem like a good thing since the documentation says it should be set to 1.

Since the PBL configuration editor doesn't present the hidden/reserved field values, there doesn't appear to be an easy way to edit the value to fix the bit using the tool--and hand-editing the object dump corrupts the checksum.

What is the recommended approach to deal with this situation?  Should I just make a note of the FRDM-LS1012A settings as decoded by the Component Inspector, create a new default PBL and then make changes to match what the FRDM-LS1012A decoded as for the fields shown?

Or is there a different way to generate/modify the RCW outside of CodeWarrior (using *.rcw files)?  Unfortunately, the ls2-rcw.git repo only seems to have binaries in it.  The repo at  git://git.freescale.com/ppc/sdk/rcw.git which has *.rcw file (sources) doesn't seem to include the ls1012afrdm.

Thanks for any pointers you can provide.

Outcomes