cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soundbite self booting

GarethJames
Contributor I
Hi

I'm not a very good assembly programmer and I struggle with pointers etc, but I have managed to get my board to operate a really simple program, a switched attenuation control using SW1 (I want to build a standalone loudspeaker crossover that self boots). I hope I'm not far off achieving all I ever purchased the board for.

It has taken me a long time to get this far, problem is, how do I then get the board to self boot? When I reset, it goes back to the default factory program, I've tried on and off for weeks and either I just 'don't get it or have missed something out. How do I 'permanently' default program to run the application I want to use the Eeprom or am I just programming the wrong address etc?

I've read the manuals, but cannot think what I am doing wrong? Have I missed something really obvious? What things should I be checking for that I have not done correctly?

Many thanks for any support

Message Edited by Gareth James on 2008-10-01 09:13 PM
0 Kudos
8 Replies

GarethJames
Contributor I
Many Thanks

I will try these suggestions, see how far I get. PC is being rebuilt at moment.

I was half thinking of trying this on an ATMEL ARM7 with i2s ADC/DAC as my filtering needs are modest  ...but I will persist for a few more months with the soundbite, I've given up for a while till i'd read your posts recently. The soundbite is quite a steep learning code!

This is my goal..

L/Rstereo input 
..L/R output. ...2xHF at above 250Hz   --1m long neodymium ribbon tweeter
..L/R output ....2xLF at below 250Hz  -- bass unit
......maybe a center subwoofer  also 

0 Kudos

mocambo
Contributor I

Hi,

I don't know if someone need it... but I have a simple c/asm project to share that do something with soundbite:

esai manage via dma

vu meter thru led

simple mixer(with exp attack/release) thru dipswitch

write code to eeprom

let me know if someone want to test it...

Bye 

Alberto

0 Kudos

jjmad
Contributor I

hello alberto and everybody

i'm a student and new to DSP-Programmig. my project is about to set up a data transfer from the soundbite to my pc and back over SPI/USB.

seems not to be very easy 'cause i'm already stuck in programming buffers. later on the board should be starting from the eeprom

it would be great if i could see how someone else is writing code for the soundbite

so alberto, if your offer is still present. i can send you my contact over private message

thanx

JJ

0 Kudos

mocambo
Contributor I

Hello JJ,

I have no problem to send you my simple project. I think I can include the project as attachment as soon as possible. This weekend I hope to have some time to clean the code and insert some comment: I use this board to do some home-experiments and not to work...

For SPI/USB, by now I have to understand how to use the ftdi dll and so I can't help you. For the eeprom, I have some problems to use it when the dsp work at full speed, so by now I use a dipswitch that I read after boot to know when write the dsp-memory I use to the eeprom(using the routine included in the soundbite asm example), then I stop the dsp and you need to deselect the dipswitch and reset the dsp to see it working.

Best regards,

Alberto
0 Kudos

mocambo
Contributor I

That's all, by now.

Please make a backup of your workspace. For the installation read the c-template documentation.

It is not well coded and commented, feel free to ask me if you don't understand something.

Best regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos

mcarino
Contributor I
I think I found a method, albeit hackish.  Read this:

http://www.freescale.com/files/dsp/doc/user_guide/SNDBDMOUG.pdf?fpsp=1&WT_TYPE=Users%20Guides&WT_VEN...

go to page 11.
0 Kudos

RandallAiken
Contributor I
I have just started using the Soundbite board yesterday, so this may not be correct, but that same document, the Symphony SoundBite Demo User’s Guide, pages 7 and 8, details a way to program the EEPROM by first starting OpenOCD (by running 00-OpenOCD.bat), and then running the batch file: "01-programSoundBite.bat".

These batch files are in the PRODTEST_DEMOAPPSRC/2-testfiles area.

I suspect you can edit the "programSoundBite.gdbcmd" file that "01-programSoundBite.bat" calls to point to your .cld file and program it that way. 

This is what is in the "programSoundBite.gdbcmd" file:

file board_test.cld
target remote localhost:9998
M p:0 0x000084
M p:1 0x000200
set $pc=0
cont
load board_test.cld
monitor set memspace 0
set $pc=0x406
cont
quit

I'm not sure what all these commands are yet, but I suspect a bit of poking around will make it clear...

Message Edited by RandallAiken on 2008-10-22 01:58 AM

Message Edited by RandallAiken on 2008-10-22 01:58 AM
0 Kudos

mcarino
Contributor I
I've been looking into this as well.  What you need to self-boot is a way to write to the EEPROM on the board via I2C.  FTDI provides DLLs to allow communications to the I2C bus via the USB port (http://www.ftdichip.com/Projects/MPSSE.htm).  I have yet to get started hacking away, though.

From what I understand, whenever you run code from Symphony Studio, the code gets injected into code memory and the DSP jumps to the starting address of the code.

Do you know where the actually hex code is dumped to after compilation?  If we can get that and the I2C working through USB, we can overwrite the EEPROM with our own code.

Message Edited by mcarino on 2008-10-08 07:49 PM
0 Kudos