What happened to the PE hardfault component in KDS3.2?/KSDK1.3?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to the PE hardfault component in KDS3.2?/KSDK1.3?

Jump to solution
mscovel
Contributor III

If you look at Erich Styger's post you can see that there was a PE hardfault component. That appears to have been removed or lost on later versions of KDS/KSDK. How do we get hardfault handling help in KDS3.2/KSDK1.3?

1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mark Scovel,

that HardFault component (and around 140 more) are not part of the NXP Processor Expert component release. This HardFault component and all the others are part of the McuOnEclipse project and of that blog you have referenced.

New components and releases are available on SourceForge (McuOnEclipse - Browse /PEx Components at SourceForge.net ) and fetured on McuOnEclipse (lastest release is described in McuOnEclipse Components: 25-Sept-2017 Release | MCU on Eclipse ) with links how to install the component(s).

As Derek says: NXP moved on to the MCUXpresso SDK and drivers (version 2.x). Altough using Processor Expert is not intended to work with the V2.x of the drivers, it is possible to use it in an inofficial way, at least most of the McuOnEclipse components. For example I'm using Processor Expert with the MCUXpresso SDK v2.x and the MCUXpresso IDE V10.0.2 (see MCUXpresso IDE: Installing Processor Expert into Eclipse Neon | MCU on Eclipse ) (but be warned that the latest IDE V10.1.0 causes an incompatibility with the Processor Expert plugins, so you should use the IDE V10.0.2 or you have to uninstall the configuration tools in the IDE V10.1.0 first).

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

7 Replies
mscovel
Contributor III

That is not what I was asking. I want to know what happened to the PE LDD for hardfaults in KSKD 1.3/ KDS 3.2?

0 Kudos
dereksnell
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi mscovel,

We're talking about older software enablement here.  Processor Expert Logical Device Drivers (LDDs) are an older set of MCU drivers that pre-date the Kinetis Software Development Kit (KSDK).  The SDK includes its own set of drivers.  LDD components are not compatible with the SDK framework and drivers.  KSDK v1.3 included Processor Expert support, but those components were wrappers for the drivers already included in the KSDK v1.3 package, different than LDDs.  And FYI, in the latest SDK 2.x, it does not include Processor Expert support.  There is a new SDK Peripheral Configuration tool that offers some similar functionality as Processor Expert, to configure the SDK 2.x drivers.

I'm not aware of a Processor Expert hard fault handler for KSDK v1.3.  But the link you referenced above also contains the source code for that handler.  Or you may find this link easier to work with, as it is less dependent on Processor Expert.

Debugging Hard Faults on ARM Cortex-M | MCU on Eclipse 

Best regards

mscovel
Contributor III

Thanks Derek. It sounds a bit like you're saying that PE isn't supported in KSDK1.3/KDS3.2 but I'm using it a lot to reduce development time so that must not be what you mean. I may abandon PE after the prototype works - I don't know yet. 

0 Kudos
dereksnell
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi mscovel,

I'll clarify. KSDK did support Processor Expert (PEx) up to version 1.3. But the older LDD components are not compatible with KSDK 1.x.

Starting in KSDK 2.0 and everything newer, PEx is no longer supported.

Best regards 

0 Kudos
danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mark Scovel

Possible reasons for a Hard Fault include :

Trying to read or write to an on-chip peripheral that is powered down or not being clocked.

Stack corruption - for example, overwriting the stack with data.

Calling a function pointer with an an invalid address

If this post is helpful please mark correct or helpful. thank you.

Have a great day,
Daniel

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mark Scovel,

that HardFault component (and around 140 more) are not part of the NXP Processor Expert component release. This HardFault component and all the others are part of the McuOnEclipse project and of that blog you have referenced.

New components and releases are available on SourceForge (McuOnEclipse - Browse /PEx Components at SourceForge.net ) and fetured on McuOnEclipse (lastest release is described in McuOnEclipse Components: 25-Sept-2017 Release | MCU on Eclipse ) with links how to install the component(s).

As Derek says: NXP moved on to the MCUXpresso SDK and drivers (version 2.x). Altough using Processor Expert is not intended to work with the V2.x of the drivers, it is possible to use it in an inofficial way, at least most of the McuOnEclipse components. For example I'm using Processor Expert with the MCUXpresso SDK v2.x and the MCUXpresso IDE V10.0.2 (see MCUXpresso IDE: Installing Processor Expert into Eclipse Neon | MCU on Eclipse ) (but be warned that the latest IDE V10.1.0 causes an incompatibility with the Processor Expert plugins, so you should use the IDE V10.0.2 or you have to uninstall the configuration tools in the IDE V10.1.0 first).

I hope this helps,

Erich

mscovel
Contributor III

Nice Erich. Thank you!

0 Kudos