Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDK_2.2_MCIM6ULL: App starting issues through 'JLinkGDBServer.exe'

Jump to solution
djregan
Contributor III

Hello,

Using a mx6ull evk with 'SDK_2.2_MCIM6ULL', we were able to follow through the getting started documentation: '\SDK_2.2_MCIM6ULL\docs\Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for i.MX 6ULL Derivatives.pdf'.

However, after successfully building the 1st demo app, and attempting to run the app on the mx6ull evk, through Segger's "JLinkGDBServer.exe"... we observe failure to start the core, with exact message through the GDB server console: "ERROR: Could not start CPU core. (ErrorCode: -1)".

And so, my question is... Has anyone else observed issues initiating a "monitor go" response through the GDB Server console?

Other information...

- Demo app being tested is ''\SDK_2.2_MCIM6ULL\boards\evkmcimx6ull\demo_apps\hello_world\"

- From 'GNU ARM Embedded Toolchain in Launchpad' we are using the latest version build '5.4 2016q3'.

- The full GDB server console session is attached (see file: 'gdb_debug_hello_world.elf.txt'.

- The 'hello_world.elf' file resulting from executing the 'build_ddr_debug.bat' is in attached file 'hello_world.zip'.

Thoughts? Troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks much,

--DJ Regan

Labels (1)
1 Solution
djregan
Contributor III

An update from Segger forum discussion thread...

Using Segger GDBServer with mx6ull EVK, and getting message: "Unable to start core"... - J-Link/Flas... 

...Segger offers folks the ability to define a function named 'AfterResetTarget()'. Target re-initialization code should be placed in this user defined function within the jlinkscript file. Within the 'ddr_init.jlinkscript' file, I have added this function definition...

int AfterResetTarget(void) {
Report("'AfterResetTarget': Re-initializing...");
Clock_Init();
DDR_Init();
Report("'AfterResetTarget': Re-Initialized.");
}

...and it is now possible to follow all the steps within the  'Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for i.MX 6ULL Derivatives.pdf', and it is still possible to complete the demo program successfully.

Thanks much,

--DJ Regan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
djregan
Contributor III

Question Answered... 

While following 'Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for i.MX 6ULL Derivatives.pdf'...

It it is necessary to skip steps 9.b, 9.c. 

do not execute step 9b.png

Running steps: 9 a., 9.d, 9.e (skip steps 9.b, 9.c) results in program execution success.

It seems as though 'monitor reset' is clearing out initialization that was established by the .jlinkscriptfile

Regards,

--DJ Regan

0 Kudos
djregan
Contributor III

An update from Segger forum discussion thread...

Using Segger GDBServer with mx6ull EVK, and getting message: "Unable to start core"... - J-Link/Flas... 

...Segger offers folks the ability to define a function named 'AfterResetTarget()'. Target re-initialization code should be placed in this user defined function within the jlinkscript file. Within the 'ddr_init.jlinkscript' file, I have added this function definition...

int AfterResetTarget(void) {
Report("'AfterResetTarget': Re-initializing...");
Clock_Init();
DDR_Init();
Report("'AfterResetTarget': Re-Initialized.");
}

...and it is now possible to follow all the steps within the  'Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for i.MX 6ULL Derivatives.pdf', and it is still possible to complete the demo program successfully.

Thanks much,

--DJ Regan

0 Kudos
Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Thank you ver much for sharing this information DJ Regan, we really appreciate it.

Regards,

Carlos