Factory Image for IMX6UL

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory Image for IMX6UL

daviddeyo
Contributor I

I am looking to find the method, recommended by NXP, to successfully make a factory image of a nand chip for

manufacturing.  The image, or images, should cover the entire chip and should be capable of being burned

directly to multiple nand flash chips in an assembly line.  The nand chip is the Micron MT29F32G08CBADA.  The

controller is the IMX6UL.  The only method where I have successfully created a set of images and re-burned

them was using nanddump and nandwrite.  But this process was done on the same board, using the same nand and SOM.

And this process is incompatible with our manufacturer.

Whenever I take those images and burn them to a different nand, using Dataman, it won't boot.  The burner

I'm using is the Dataman-48Pro2.  I have tried burning images, that have been pulled using nanddump that worked using the nandwrite method.  I have also tried desoldering a working nand chip, reading the image off , burning that image to a new

chip and soldering that chip down.  Nothing has worked. 

Since kobs-ng is how the mfgtool writes uboot to nand, it seems the best place to start.  According to it's output, kobs-ng

writes three sections for uboot:  fcb(4 copies), dbbt(4 copies) and the bootstream ( 2 copies of uboot binary). 

The sections dbbt and uboot seem to be treated similar in terms of OOB data.  The fcb section, however, seems

unique in that it doesn't seem to use ecc. 

The method I used to create a backup and re-write images to nand, that successfully boots, is below:

Read:

nanddump -o  -n -f fcb.bin       -s <start addr> -l <length> <device>

nanddump -o  -f dbbt.bin         -s <start addr> -l <length> <device>

nanddump -o  -f bstream.bin   -s <start addr> -l <length> <device>

Write:

nandwrite -o -n -s <start addr>  <device> fcb.bin  
nandwrite -o -n -s <start addr> <device> fcb.bin

nandwrite -o -s <start addr> <device> dbbt.bin
nandwrite -o -s <start addr> <device> bstream.bin
nandwrite -o -s <start addr> <device> bstream.bin

One of our partners is using a TI arm based som.  They have a working process using nanddump.  The difference is that

we use the IMX6UL and it has the first boot function (xloader) embedded in it's rom where the TI arm doesn't.  Is it possible

that the imx6 has a unique ecc algorithm that currently isn't supported by our burner?

This problem can't be new.  Someone has to have solved the problem of creating a factory image for the IMX6UL using the

nand chip mentioned above.  Does anyone know what NXP recommends for creating a factory image? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

b36401‌, please continue with the follow up.

0 Kudos

daviddeyo
Contributor I

Thank you Karina and Victor.  Victor replied with a follow up.  Unfortunately, the files provided didn't indicate how to solve the problem of creating a factory image.  Does anyone at NXP know what to supply to gang programmers to successfully create a bootable nand chip (similar to kobs-ng/mfgtool)?  Are there companies that use the i.MX6

with raw nand that can burn their uboot to raw nand through 'some' chip programmer?

0 Kudos

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Unfortunately software ECC algorithm is not available.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Have a great day,
Victor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

daviddeyo
Contributor I

When you say, "software ECC algorithm is not available", do you mean the ECC algorithm has not been made available to

chip burning manufacturers and therefore the mentioned manufacturing process cannot be done?

0 Kudos

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

A am going to forward the question to our Experts Team.
However I need a case to point it in the form.
Please create a technical case:
https://community.nxp.com/thread/381898

Have a great day,
Victor

0 Kudos

daviddeyo
Contributor I
0 Kudos

daviddeyo
Contributor I

This was not answered and should not be considered answered.

0 Kudos