cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SREC Decompilation

Jump to solution
jennifervolk
Contributor I

Hi, We're new to Kinetis and Motorola S-Record files and are working with FOTA for software updates. Our FOTA tool uses srec files generated through the KDS Cross ARM GNU Create Flash Image option. I just wanted to ask whether we'll be able to decompile our srec file into its original .c files once we compile it?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I'm not sure if I understand your question? But the S-Records only contain the code and constant data (see S-Record, Intel Hex and Binary Files | MCU on Eclipse ), so all what you would get from a reverse engineering standpoint is an array of hexadecimal values. If you now the memory map, you can transform this with a disassembler into assembly code with no symbol/variable information: you only will see absolute addresses.

You will not get to the level of C code.

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I'm not sure if I understand your question? But the S-Records only contain the code and constant data (see S-Record, Intel Hex and Binary Files | MCU on Eclipse ), so all what you would get from a reverse engineering standpoint is an array of hexadecimal values. If you now the memory map, you can transform this with a disassembler into assembly code with no symbol/variable information: you only will see absolute addresses.

You will not get to the level of C code.

I hope this helps,

Erich