cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX6 Quad JTAG Debug

peteramond
Contributor V

Hi All,

This is regarding iMX6 Quad based custom hardware design. In this custom hardware design we have JTAG, Serial and OTG connections for hardware debugging.

Specification of hardware -

i.MAX6Q NXP processor.
Manufacturer part number - MCIMX6Q6AVT10AC
IC MPU I.MX6Q 1.0GHZ 624FCBGA
ARM® Cortex-A9 Microprocessor IC i.MX6Q 4 Core, 32-Bit 1.0GHz 624-FCBGA (21x21)
DDR3 memory module
Micron serial flash

We need to debug I2C group, NOR Flash group, SD/MMC, SPI, PCIE and UART interfaces and verify complete hardware design with Altium based schematics and layout for mass production.

1. I like to know your idea on which JTAG product is compatible for our custom hardware design and its hardware debugging requirements. 
2. I have seen some people have used Segger plus for hardware debugging. Will Segger support Boundary scan based JTAG Debug ? 
3. If yes what are the requirements for that ? Like SATA interface of the chip is powered, even if this is not used in design, PCIe interface is powered.
4. Do you aware about Codewarrior TAP hardware debugger ? Will this compatible with iMAX6Q ? 

5. Are there any recommended JTAG debugger by NXP for iMAX6Q processor ?

Regards,

Peter.

Labels (4)
3 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

recommended JTAG tools for i.MX6 may be found on the following WEB under tab

"Software & Tools", section "Emulators/Probes".

i.MX6Q|i.MX 6Quad Processors|Quad Core|NXP 

In particular, ARM DSTREAM with DS-5, also  Lauterbach Trace 32 and probes may be considered.

DSTREAM – Arm Developer 

TRACE32® Debugger Hardware 

Please refer to tool providers for more details.

Recommendations about JTAG signals may be found in Hardware Development Guide for i.MX 6;

restrictions regarding SATA and PCIe supply relate to Boundary Scan testing, they do not affect 

software debugging.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/IMX6DQ6SDLHDG.pdf 

Note, Codewarrior does not support devices of i.MX series.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

peteramond
Contributor V

Hi #Yuri Muhin

Thank you for your reply.

Can you explain the difference between J-Link hardware and J-Trace hardware ? Their difference capabilities ?

Will Segger J-Trace or J-Link provide Boundary Scan testing ?

Regards,

Peter.

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Trace option allows You  to monitor dynamically application activity and have code snapshot

before  previously selected event. 

I do not think, that software debuggers provide (hardware) Boundary Scan testing. 

In any case, please apply to tool's owners for more details.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos