How to implement Rooms/zones for Zigbee HA

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to implement Rooms/zones for Zigbee HA

dmsherazi
Contributor IV

I am working on zigbee Network design for Home Automation. I need to add lights, switches, curtains and other devices to the network and I have to implement logic to group these devices into rooms while adding to the network. I understand that this can be done at the app level, but I don't want to implement it at app level for a few reasons. (I want to persist the grouping in zigbee devices and not in app so it will be available to all users)

I plan to utilize groups in zigbee network for this purpose. I would have a fixed number of rooms with fixed group id for them. Any device when added to network via the coordinator should be added to the group of the room. When I would require to list devices in a room , i would then query all devices in that group. Similarly sending command to all devices in a room can be achieved by sending that command to the group.

I would like to know if there is a better approach to this and get suggestions from those who have experience in this field. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Dost,

We provide different application notes for example JN-AN-1216 IoT Control Bridge and the JN-AN-1221 for  the HA.

ZigBee 3.0|NXP 

The control bridge will be the coordinator, so you will control it through a ZGWUI. it provides several commands for example: Managing groups.

For a better reference please take a look to this application note and look for the 

Application Note: JN-AN-1216 ZigBee 3.0 IoT Control Bridge pdf.

4.2.6 Managing Groups

pastedImage_2.png

I recommended take a look the JN-AN-1221 and look for the ColorDiammableLight example.

ZigBee Home Automation|NXP 

Please let me know if you have problems running the demo.

Best Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos