cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from Micron to Samsung DDR

d_saxena
Contributor I

Dear All,

My board is based on sabreSD design. Frist generation of the board has same components used in the sabreSD board. 

Now I have changed DDR from Micron to Samsung. DDR details are as follows.

MICRON

MT41K256M16TW 

Micron-DDR.png

My board works perfectly fine with Micron RAM. 

SAMSUNG

K4B4G1646D-BMK0

Samsung-DDR.png

My board is giving strange results with Samsung RAM.

Following are the observations:

1. U-boot boots fine.

2. I can use all u-boot commands and till u-boot everything looks fine.

3. Many times, splash screen from u-boot is distorted.

4. Board crashes after u-boot. no specific place of a crash. The crash is random.

5. Linux kernel also boots up 1 out of 30 times but the display looks noisy and board works for some time before the crash.

I need your expert comments to locate Root cause. If required I can provide logs and board schematics for review.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

It is needed to use DDR3-1066 or DDR3-800 (depending on i.MX6 MMDC configuration)

timing settings for SAMSUNG K4B4G1646D-BMK0, since i.MX6 supports DDR3 up to 533 MHz.
 Please look at the following regarding memory porting :

DRAM Customization on i.MX6x 

As for 0S (Linux) level, please refer to Chapter 1 (Porting U-Boot from an i.MX 6/7 Reference Board to
an i.MX 6/7 Custom Board) of “i.MX_BSP_Porting_Guide.pdf” in Linux documentation.

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.9.11_1.0.0_LINUX_DOCS&Parent_nodeId=13376994810717061... 

The following tool will be helpful for timing tuning. 

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-105963 

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos