Can the FLL in MCG be used open-loop as a DCO, without FLL corrections?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the FLL in MCG be used open-loop as a DCO, without FLL corrections?

steverhodes
Contributor I

I'm using an MKV30F64VFM10, but this is a pretty general question about the MCG. As I understand it, the DCO in the FLL has a period that adjusts in increments of about 150 ps (the FLL RMS jitter spec). That means the total error in one period of the reference clock can be 150 ps times the multiplication factor, say 384 ns if multiplying by 2560. Averaged over many reference periods with small DCO period changes, the FLL accuracy is good. But from reference period to period, there  can be a large jump, which appears as jitter on an FTM output if it's clocked by the FLL. If the FLL would just run open-loop, and stay at a single DCO  setting, then there wouldn't be any jitter. Software could adjust the FTM period to lock to an external reference at known times, and achieve very low jitter. So... is there any way to make the FLL not try to track a reference? I thought the MCG_SC.FLTPRSRV might do it, but I can't find anything about it beyond the register description.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I need to check with Kinetis product team about this case.

I will let you know when there with any feedback.

Thank you for the patience.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos