cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUxPresso Gui Flash programmer

Jump to solution
timg
Contributor I

I am using MCUxPresso 10.0.2 with a K66 Freedom board using segger jlink. Debugging works fine. When I try to start the flash programmer gui I get an error message "Selected project doesn't contain LinkServer launch configuration!"

Any ideas?

Thanx

Tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Tim,

MCUXpresso integrates Flash programmer, but it only supports LinkServer connection with that dialog, because it uses its internal (LPCLink/LinkServer) specific flash programming, and does not rely on the flash programming e.g. Segger or P&E does with their probes.

pastedImage_1.png

For more information, please refer "10.5 Using the LinkServer flash programmer" in MCUXpresso_IDE_User_Guide.pdf which is under MCUXpresso install.

Anyway, you can get the same functionality as KDS by configuring debug configurations. please refer Erich’s answer of this thread

https://community.nxp.com/message/896950?commentID=896950#comment-896950

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 Replies
timg
Contributor I

Ok so does any one have any suggestions on how to program the flash on K66 freedom boards? I admit at this point I'm a bit lost.

0 Kudos
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

We are investigating expanding the IDE's GUI Flash Programmer to support non-LinkServer debug probes in a future release. But in the immediate future, you have two possible ways forward - assuming your FRDM-K66 board has J-Link firmware programmed into its OpenSDA built in debug probe.

1) Replace the J-Link firmware with CMSIS-DAP (DAP-Link) firmware from : http://www.nxp.com/opensda. You will then be able to use the MCUXpresso IDE's built-in GUI Flash Programmer (as described in the MCUXpresso IDE User Guide).

2) Use the tools provided by SEGGER themselves to program flash. MCUXpresso IDE installs a version of the SEGGER software onto your PC and you can download and install the latest from SEGGER's website. For instance you can use the JLink executable (aka JLink Commander) with the "-CommandScript" to program flash from the command line (see section 3.2.3," Using command files" In the SEGGER J-Link User Guide for an example of this). And the "J-Link control panel" offers a way of doing this via a GUI interface.

3) The above two options should also be possible if you use an external debug probe too, such as an ~$20 LPC-Link2, which may give better programming speeds if this is something you are likely to do often (as well as improving debug performance).

Secondly, with respect to your comment "I power off the board and power back on the device will not run" this could be related to you creating/importing your project with Semihosting enabled to provide printf support via the debugger console(which requires a debugger connection to run).

One of the new features added in MCUXpresso IDE v10.1 was to provide a hard fault handler in projects which would allow them to execute even with no debugger in place. Please see the MCUXpresso IDE v10.1 User Guide for more details on this (for instance section13.4.1, "What is Semihosting?" and also section 10.3.1).

The other approach would be to create your projects with UART selected as the debug console mechanism rather than semihosting.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos
timg
Contributor I

I have tried those suggestions. When I power off the board and power back on the device will not run. I have tried the reset button and no luck. My program will only run when attached to the debugger.

Any thing anyone can suggest?

Thanx

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Tim,

MCUXpresso integrates Flash programmer, but it only supports LinkServer connection with that dialog, because it uses its internal (LPCLink/LinkServer) specific flash programming, and does not rely on the flash programming e.g. Segger or P&E does with their probes.

pastedImage_1.png

For more information, please refer "10.5 Using the LinkServer flash programmer" in MCUXpresso_IDE_User_Guide.pdf which is under MCUXpresso install.

Anyway, you can get the same functionality as KDS by configuring debug configurations. please refer Erich’s answer of this thread

https://community.nxp.com/message/896950?commentID=896950#comment-896950

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!