cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowed I2C rise- and fall-times

rolandstrommer
Contributor I

Hi all,

i have a question about the allowed fall-times of I2C-signals of the NFC-driver NT3H2111W0FHK.

In the linked document "I2C-bus specification and user manual" UM10204 (Rev. 6 - 4 April 2014) one can find different allowed rise- and fall-times for the signals depending on the used mode (which makes sense so far):

pastedImage_2.png

But why are limits for minimum fall-times only defined in some cases but not in other?

Currently the standard-mode allows faster fall times than fast-mode or fast-mode plus. The minimum limits for rise-times are even stranger: standard-mode and fast-mode plus support faster rise-times than fast mode.

In our application (fast-mode) the measured fall time is only about 3-5ns - but the minimum allowed fall time according the spec would be 10ns. - Could this cause any issues?

We could change the communication speed and would be fine with the limits but this would waste valuable time if this measure is not absolutely necessary.

Thanks,

Roland

P.S. footnote [1] seems to be incorrect: VIHmin is lower than VILmax.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

cmtan
Contributor I

Interesting question on the fall time requirement.  It looks like the fall time requirement is as pointed by Kan-Li.  However the question from Roland is how to meet the requirement when existing measure does not. 

The simplest approach is to add a series resistor between the output driver of the I2C and the I2C connection.  Based on the fall time and the Vih and ViL, we can estimate the fall time

CR = Tau ~= Tf            (Note fall time 90->10% is 1.4CR, so 70% to 30% is about 1CR by estimation without going into details)

R = Tf/C                      R = series resistor, C = bus capacitance

Assuming C = 100pf

Fall time requirement 10ns   (from your requirment)

Tf - 10ns  (assuming another 10ns from your requirement meaning 10 + 3ns)

R = 10E-9/100E-12 = 100 ohms  (replace the 33 ohm below with 100 ohms)

Also addition bus capacitance which Roland did will not help much because when the SCL or SDA is turned on the capacitance is shorted with little resistance during fall time period.  That is the reason the increase in fall time is so insignificant. 

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

军颖肖
Contributor II

I have been encountering I2C fall time problem. According to  UM10204.pdf, I add an series resistor about 100ohm like your picture above, but when I use hyperlynx simulate fall time, it has almost been changed. My understanding is that rise time is related with pull-up resistor and capacitance load ,Cb in UM10204.pdf. I don't know why fall time can be calculated by this equation, and here R is the series resistor value. Hope your reply. My number is 18611760398.Thanks a lot.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Roland,

On page 36, the UM10204 says as below:

pastedImage_1.png

I think that is the reason why there is minimum falling time defined for fast mode/fast mode plus, so please don't make it out of spec.

Hope that makes sense,

Have a great day,
Kan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos