Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to measure current by SAR ADC without shunt resistance

Jump to solution
masahirokiniwa
Contributor IV

Hi.

I'd like to measure a current by S.E. SAR ADC without shunt resistance.

I connect a sensor output to ADC direct. This sensor output sensing data by current.

Could you give me an idea for above function.

Best regards,

M.Kiniwa

0 Kudos
1 Solution
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Masahiro,

I think your question is which sensor can be used to convert the current to voltage except shunt resistor. As Earl said, you can use the following sensor to convert current to voltage:

Hall sensor, Rogowski coil sensor, shunt resistor. If you  test AC current, you can use current transformer.

Hope it can help you

BR

xiangjun Rong

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Masahiro,

I think your question is which sensor can be used to convert the current to voltage except shunt resistor. As Earl said, you can use the following sensor to convert current to voltage:

Hall sensor, Rogowski coil sensor, shunt resistor. If you  test AC current, you can use current transformer.

Hope it can help you

BR

xiangjun Rong

0 Kudos
masahirokiniwa
Contributor IV

Hi EARL, Xiangjun

Thank you for your reply.

I desided to modify our circuit for adding shunt registor.

Best regards,

M.Kiniwa

0 Kudos
egoodii
Senior Contributor III

You don't give us any details on what you need for measurement details, like level, accuracy, AC(frequency?)/DC, or isolation requirements.  Overall, it's not quite clear what help you are looking for --- there are three ways to convert current to voltage, and if you don't want the shunt resistance method then if AC-current a sense-transformer is viable (and isolated, although their effect reflects as a low shunt resistance), or you can go with a Hall-effect IC:

Current Transducers | DigiKey

0 Kudos