cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated FlexCAN Documentation in Android OS

tommos23
Contributor III

Hello, 

My aim is to be able to communicate through the CAN network on a Sabre SD i.MX6 device running Android 7.1.1

I have found a number of forum posts around this topic however most are now +4/5 years old and some of the steps do not seem to work with newer versions of android.

I am following this How to use FlexCAN in Android OS as closely as possible, however I cannot get the 'can0' device to appear when typing the command "ifconfig -a" (I just get 'sit0', 'lo' and 'eth0').

The 1st issue is in the "Adding Flexcan driver support on Kernel" in All Boards FlexCAN  the <*>Freescale FlexCAN does not appear in the kernel menuconfig.

Does the latest kernel from git.freescale.com/imx/linux-imx.git contain the Freescale FlexCAN drivers?

The 2nd issue I'm having is that any changes I make in the kernel menuconfig appear to be overwritten when building the AOSP using the steps in section 3.3 of Android_User's_Guide.pdf from Android OS for i.MX Applications Processors|NXP 

Would adding items to: kernel_imx/arch/arm/configs/imx_v7_android_defconfig cause them to be built with the AOSP?

Thank you for any support on these issues.

Aaron

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Aaron

This is because, is specified with a different name.

You can find it in the bellow "layer" of the menuconfig.

Networking support ->

CAN bus subsystem support ->

CAN Device Drivers->

Platform CAN drivers with Netlink support

However, you will need to modify the Android defconfig. In order to have the changes that you made using the menuconfig. For that you only need to add, or modify the bellow line:

CONFIG_CAN_FLEXCAN=y

I hope this information can solve your question.

Best Regards,

Diego

tommos23
Contributor III

Hi Diego,

Thank you very much for the help. Where can I find the 'defconfig' file for the sabersd_6dq board? When I search for it there are 100+ files with similar names.

Thank you,

Aaron

0 Kudos

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Aron,

You can find the android_defconfig file in the bellow path:

$cd ~/myandroid/kernel_imx/arch/arm/configs

The file is the bellow:

imx_v7_android_defconfig

I hope this information can solve your problem.

Best Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos

tommos23
Contributor III

Hello Diego,

"CONFIG_CAN_FLEXCAN=y" is already set in imx_v7_defconfig

I am using the i.MX6DL Sabre SD platform (sabresd_6dq). I am compiling using "lunch sabresd_6dq-userdebug"..."make" is this the correct configuration to enable can0?

Thank you,

Aaron

0 Kudos