Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Things 1080p video decoding

Jump to solution
j2abro
Contributor I

Hello

I'd like to do fast video decoding on Android Things, but the only boards available with Android Things support are the i.MX6UL and the i.MX7D, neither of which seem to have onboard hardware codecs for 1080p h.264 video. Running vanilla Android (not Things) is not an option for us.

• Does the i.MX7D actually implement hardware codecs (It's not clear to me that they don't looking at the specs)?
  • Might the i.MX6QP be on the roadmap for Android Things support? 
  • What Android Things compatible board might perform best for video decoding, the i.MX7D or i.MX6UL?

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi John

right, i.MX7D or i.MX6UL have not vpu (hardware video accelerator module) and supported

resolutions are up to 720 * 480 according to Table 30. Video codec specification for hardware

without VPU acceleration attached Release Notes. Seems i.MX7D is better suited for video decoding,

as more powerful processor.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1 Reply
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi John

right, i.MX7D or i.MX6UL have not vpu (hardware video accelerator module) and supported

resolutions are up to 720 * 480 according to Table 30. Video codec specification for hardware

without VPU acceleration attached Release Notes. Seems i.MX7D is better suited for video decoding,

as more powerful processor.

Best regards
igor
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!