cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC11C14 CAN and UART Pins

satbir7
Contributor III

Hello All,

Currently, on LPC11C14, I have the CAN TXD/RXD pins connected to the corresponding UART TXD/RXD pins, and have been using the UART without any issues. The idea was to be able use either the UART or CAN controller. 

The datasheet says that the default state of the CAN TXD pin is HIGH, so how is my UART working?  

Won't there be a short when the UART TX pin pulls the line down? 

Would this setup be an issue if I had to program the chip in ISP mode ?

Thanks,

Satbir

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

satbir7
Contributor III

Jeremy,

How can the CAN module be disabled ?

I know that the UART pins can be easily be set to input mode. 

Thanks,

Satbir

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Satbir Sekhon

To disabling the CAN block, you can reset the CAN block via asset the bit3 in the PRESETCTRL register, then dis-asset the bit 17 in the SYSAHBCLKCTRL register.

Hope this is clear.
Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

satbir7
Contributor III

Hello Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply.

The idea behind  connecting the CAN and UART pins together, is to be able use either UART or CAN using just one physical transceiver chip. 

Satbir

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Satbir Sekhon

Thanks for your reply.

My suggestion is disabling another module when one module is active, however you need to do some testing to evaluate the risk.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Satbir Sekhon,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and 
for the opportunity to serve you.
I'm very curious about why you connect CAN TXD/RXD pins connected to UART TXD/RXD pins, whether you can introduce the purpose of this implementation.
Have a great day,

TIC

0 Kudos