Does BLE packet sniffing with USB-KW41Z even work?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does BLE packet sniffing with USB-KW41Z even work?

philbeeson
Contributor III

I've been trying to sniff BLE packets between 2 devices now for almost 3 weeks with no success.  Has anyone out there sucesfully achieved this with the USB-KW41Z?  

I have not problem seeing advertising data and the initial connect request, but after that the sniffer seems to fail to follow the hop pattern and drops back to watching the advertising channels.  Meanwhile the 2 devices are happily connected with peripheral GATT services discovered and working, yet the sniffer sees none of it.

I've tried on Windows 7 & 10, with wireshark 2.2.8 and the kinetis protocol analyser adapter 1.2.4.0.   I have 2 USB-KW41Z boards, one with the as delivered stock firmware, one with the firmware image(s) from the MKW41Z connectivity software 1.0.2 package, both show the same behaviour.

If anyone has this working, I'd appreciate a wireshark capture file just to prove to me that it can be made to work - somehow!

Any help would really be appreciated.

Phil.

Labels (2)
4 Replies

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Phillip, 

Thank you for the feedback provided on this and the other posts, I checking the issue with the developer’s team I will give you an update as soon as we have a resolution of it. 

Sorry for all the inconvenience this is causing you.

Regards,
Estephania

0 Kudos

neoxiong
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I have the same question.

The user guide does not even mention how to capture & monitor data channel PDU. 

0 Kudos

philbeeson
Contributor III

Hi Neo Xiong,

The only way to monitor data channel PDUs is to capture the connection event when the central connects to the peripheral.   If that is captured, the sniffer SHOULD follow the hop sequence and capture the data PDUs.

However I believe that there's a bug in the implementation of the hopping pattern in the sniffer which stops this from working.   See my other post  https://community.nxp.com/thread/458293 

I'm still trying to get confirmation from NXP - If you have anyway as a Field Applications Engineer to reach out to the engineering team, to see if they can confirm this then please do.    

Regards,

Phil.

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

Have you checked the Kinetis USB-KW41Z Wireless Protocol Sniffer Quick Start Guide? There is a chapter called Sniffing Bluetooth® Low Energy v4.2 Wireless Communications where there is the procedure on how to capture the packets. 

Regards, 

Estephania 

0 Kudos