is it possible to capture packet in wireshark using JN5168 based USB sniffer?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to capture packet in wireshark using JN5168 based USB sniffer?

shreyaspatel
Contributor I

I am using JN 5168 based USB sniffer for zigbee. Is it possible to capture packet in wireshark using that dongle?

there is a link that says it can be possible but it is for JN51349 Interface for Zigbee (jennic) - Wireshark Q&A 

It mentions the application note JN-AN-1115 protocol sniffer with wireshark but not able to find that application note.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

leemitchell
Contributor I

Since NXP don't support it, I added it myself:

Hi All,

I got frustrated with the lack of support for wireshark with JN51xx sniffers, so I wrote:

a) A command line sniffer server, available here: https://github.com/Codemonkey1973/JN51xx-802.15.4-Sniffer-Server

Use this command line utility with an eval board or module programmed with the NXP sniffer binary provided in the SDK's. It will then send the received 802.15.4 packets encapsulated inside a UDP message to the IP address of your choice (127.0.0.1 by default).

b) Added support for the sniffer server packet encapsulation format to Wireshark. Any of the automated builds created after 1st Jan 2018 contain built in support for dissecting the messages from the command line sniffer server above.

www.wireshark.org/download/automated/

On windows you can either direct the UDP packets to your usual network interface, or find a guide on how to install the loopback adapter and sniff the packets on that at 127.0.0.1 (you will probably have to install npcap library instead of the usual pcap library if you want to do this.

Hope this is useful to someone! 

Regards,

Lee

0 Kudos

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Shreyas,

Unfortunately, We do not have support of JN5168 based USB sniffer on Wireshark and as of now there is no plan of support JN5168 USB sniffer in Wireshark.

Best Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos