cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

demo9s08sh8

Jump to solution
juliancox
Contributor V

I have just received a DEMO9S08SH8/SG8. The documentation talks at length about the "BDM_PORT Header" but actually tells the reader absolutely nothing. I have one simple question: -

Is the BDM header there to allow the on-board USB-Multilink BDM to connect to and debug/flash target hardware or is it there to allow a USBDM to connect to, and debug/flash the DEMO9S08SH8/SG8? 

If we don't know which - it can't use it for either. I suppose we could try it - with a 50% chance of damaging the board.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I don't have the DEMO9S08SH8 board, but I know the DEMOJM and DEMOQE boards, so I assume it is very similar.

The BDM header or port is a 2x3 2.4mm header on the board (RNet Stack for 8bit MC9S08QE128 Microcontroller and MC13201 Transceiver | MCU on Eclipse , right lower left of the board). Here you can plug in a BDM (Background Debug Mode) cable, e.g. from P&E. I have not used USBDM with it, but that should work too.

The onboard P&E USB Multilink is already connected through BDM to the target device. The BDM header is used to bypass and debug the board directly with an external debug probe.

I might need to set a jumper on the board to switch between the on-board debug interface (through the USB cable) or to use the BDM header with an external probe.

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I don't have the DEMO9S08SH8 board, but I know the DEMOJM and DEMOQE boards, so I assume it is very similar.

The BDM header or port is a 2x3 2.4mm header on the board (RNet Stack for 8bit MC9S08QE128 Microcontroller and MC13201 Transceiver | MCU on Eclipse , right lower left of the board). Here you can plug in a BDM (Background Debug Mode) cable, e.g. from P&E. I have not used USBDM with it, but that should work too.

The onboard P&E USB Multilink is already connected through BDM to the target device. The BDM header is used to bypass and debug the board directly with an external debug probe.

I might need to set a jumper on the board to switch between the on-board debug interface (through the USB cable) or to use the BDM header with an external probe.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
juliancox
Contributor V

Thanks for your quick reply (something of a luxury in this forum). I found a schematic of the DEMO9S08SH8 The BDM (P&E MICRO) is shown as a single block, and all of the on-board toys are connected to the target chip. It also shows the Reset, and SWD lines going from the  BDM to the socketed S08SH8 target chip and to the BDM header. I assume, therefore, that If I remove the target chip  the DEMO9S08SH8 simply becomes a BDM with some unconnected peripheral components. I believe that this also applies to the DEMOQE board. The BDM cable is a standard 6-way IDC ribbon cable.

BTW. I also have a DEMOQE, a JS16 BDM and a JM60 BDM - only the DEMO9S08SH8 connects to C/W, although both BDMs work with USBDM 4.12. I am convinced that it is a driver issue. I load the drivers, plug in the BDM, "Found New Hardware", but couldn't find any drivers. I am about to give up and retire to a Buddhist monastery in Nepal. (see my other posts in this space (to which I have had no reply)

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Your retirement sounds like fun :-).

About using the DEMO boards to debug other boards: I know that this was possible with very old P&E drivers, but an updated version of that driver does prevent this. So if you have rather recent drivers (less than 4 or 5 years old), then you probably cannot do this.

I did not had much luck with USBDM, it never really worked for me, but this must be my machine, as I know it works for others. Maybe driver issues.

If not be able to connect to the DEMOQE/JM, check the power jumpers and the debug mode jumpers (I remember something like this, I don't have the schematics at hand as travelling).

I hope this helps,

Erich

juliancox
Contributor V

You are probably correct, but as my target is also a S08SH I think I will persevere for a little while longer. In the meantime I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy a Multilink FX probe.

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

For an S08 part, in my experience the FX has no advantage over the 'normal' universal multilink, so you don't need an FX.

It has been a while since I wrote that review, but it still might be useful for you: Men In Black are back! Flashing and FX’ing… | MCU on Eclipse 

The FX is a nice probe, but again it is up to you.

Erich

0 Kudos
juliancox
Contributor V

Hi Erich

The advantage for me is that the FX can supply power to the target (5V or 303V and can also be used for programming.

Regarding the demo board - I installed a BDM header and removed the target processor. It now works fine as a debug probe, but only at 5V. I will address the 3.3V issue later.

0 Kudos