cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QorIQ LS1043ARDB SDK 2.0 boot without using rootfs in the kernel.itb

j_wallace
Contributor II

Hello Experts.

My problem seems to have already been addressed by somoene else (LS1043ARDB SDK 2.0 boot without using rootfs in the kernel.itb? ) but I think we have not a precise response.

1) Goal: boot with u-boot on NOR flash (vBank 4) and rootfs(+ kernel) on SD card.

2) Attempts: I set the SD card up following the SDK 2.0 release note, and modified bootargs and bootcmd accordingly.

---------------

=> printenv
baudrate=115200
bootargs=root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootdelay=5 earlycon=uart8250,0x21c0500,115200 console=ttyS0,115200
bootcmd=ext2load mmc 0 a0000000 uImage && bootm a0000000

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also followed the previously mentionned thread to build "uImage"  (I removed ramdisk = "ramdisk@1" in kernel.its, but keept fdt = "fdt@1" before rebuilding), but the boot hanged.

Does somebody know how to proceed? Thanks in advance.

---------------

## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at a0000000 ...
   Image Name:   linux-4.1
   Image Type:   AArch64 Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    5360670 Bytes = 5.1 MiB
   Load Address: 80080000
   Entry Point:  80080000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
FDT and ATAGS support not compiled in - hanging
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Additional file system can be added from SD card.

The first file system can be in the RAM and the second file system on the SD. Data can be stored using the second file system.

See the following pages:

https://blogs.oracle.com/alejandrovargas/how-to-create,-configure-and-mount-a-new-linux-file-system

and

http://bencane.com/2011/12/19/creating-a-new-filesystem-with-fdisk-lvm-and-mkfs/

and

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-to-create-new-mount-point-in-linux-906731...

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Look at the Section 4.4.7.9.4 of NXP SDK 2.0-1703 documentation:

http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/supporting-information/QORIQ-SDK-2.0-IC-REV0.pdf

This Section contains description for SD deployment. Use this Section for ,itb deployment.

Use the Section 4.4.7.8 for u-boot, RCW, FMan and PPA microcode to the NOR Flash.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

j_wallace
Contributor II

Hi Pavel,

Thank you for your reply. If you read carefully my posts above, I used the SDK release note you mentioned to make my deployment. As said, my need is:

1) Store u-boot in NOR flash and rootFs (In which I put the kernel image) in SD card.

2) RootFS mounted on SD card and not in RAM so that I may have persistent data in the file system.

As provided by the SDK, bitebake target fsl-image-kernelitb produces an image that also includes a rootfs intended to be loaded in RAM, which does not fit my need. I found that the build target that seems to match is fsl-image-minimal... I described the process I walked through in my 2nd post. Everything seems fine except some dirty prints during the kernel startup.

Thanks.

J.W. 

0 Kudos

j_wallace
Contributor II

Using the kernel image built with "bitbake fsl-image-minimal" and the corresponding dtb let me have my rootfs on SD card.

1) I did not modify sources/meta-frescale/recipes-fsl/images/fsl-image-kernelitb/kernel.its

2) cleaned previous build

3) built fsl-image-minimal

4) built uImage following the previoulsly mentionned thread

5) put uImage and dtb in my SD card partition root.

6) Modified bootcmd in u-boot to load the kernel and the dtb

7) Then => boot.

I got some dirty prints (picture below) but the kernel completed the boot till the loggin prompt and I confirmed that /dev/mmcblk0p1 is mounted on /. Now I have to investigate this dirty print but everything seems almost fine.

pastedImage_4.png

0 Kudos