cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K64F KDS_3.1 + KSDK_1.3.0 USB/SD using FatFs

neilporven
Senior Contributor I

Hi everyone,

I have a custom board which has a USB connection and a micro SD card connection.  I am currently collecting

data on the micro SD card (as a data logger), but I would also like be able to insert a USB stick and read a file

from it and/or be able to create a file and write to it.

I am confused if I should be following a USB host example project or should I be using the device example project?

These are both located in the Kinetics->KSDK_1.3.0->examples->frdmk64f->demo_apps->usb

I need for both the existing SD card code working and the USB (host or device) code working, both will be using

the Chang FatFs.

Can someone help me on this?

Neil

0 Kudos
9 Replies

donelmore
Contributor I

I don't know whether or not you ever found any of the items that you were looking for.  FatFs talks to a file called "diskio.c" which is included in the FatFs folder of the SDK.  "diskio.c" talks to some combination of "fsl_mmc_disk.c", "fsl_ram_disk.c", "fsl_sd_disk.c", "fsl_sdspi_disk.c", and "fsl_usb_disk.c" depending on which physical device types you want to interact with as a FAT file system.  All of these files are in the SDK as well (<sdk dir>\middleware\fatfs_0.12b\src).  There are several other files that you will need to add to your project as well:  event.c, fsl_sd.c, fsl_sdmmc.c, get_fattime.c.  The two "fsl_*" files can be found in the SDK (along with the additional header files that they reference: fsl_card.h, fsl_specification.h, sdhc_config.h).  The "event.c" file must be written by you, but at least a couple of examples of this file are included in the SDK tree.  I am still looking for an example implementation of the get_fattime() function.

I would encourage you to visit the FATFS web site as a newer version is available (0.13) along with 2 bug fix patches.  Beyond that, I cannot be much help to you--I have only ever tied FATFS to an SD card, so the missing USB libraries are outside of my experience.  Hope this helps, even though this doesn't address your original question.

0 Kudos

neilporven
Senior Contributor I

Thank you Don,

I am at the point where I am able to use the FATFS on the USB and I tied all the USB libraries.  Unfortunately, I been struggling with an example

I am following.  The example uses Tasks which is part of the OS, although the project was written for Baremetal??? Weird!!! Anyways, it seems

that once the example project starts working, its locked in a endless loop that does not come out.  I am trying to figure out how to make it come

out that way I can service other routines in my application.

Neil

0 Kudos

donelmore
Contributor I

What problem are you having?  Are you using FreeRTOS?  I have a bit of experience w/ FreeRTOS, so maybe I could help.

0 Kudos

neilporven
Senior Contributor I

Hi Don,

Take a look at this thread: https://community.nxp.com/thread/461422 

The example I am following doesn't use FreeRTOS, is BM(Bare Metal), I fully explain what is happening in the thread.

Any help will be great.

Neil

0 Kudos

danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Neil:

If you need to write to/ read from  a file from USB stick,   usb stick is a device, your custom board is a host.

You can check the msd_fatfs demo

KSDK_1.3.0\examples\frdmk64f\demo_apps\usb\host\msd\msd_fatfs

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos

neilporven
Senior Contributor I

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I will take a look at the demo application and

see how its done.  

Do you know if I can have both the SD card and the USB working simultaneously using the same

FatFs from Chang? 

Regards,

Neil

0 Kudos

danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Neil Porven

In theory it is possible to write into several different physical disc, but I have never tried it in practice.

Regards

Daniel

neilporven
Senior Contributor I

Hi Daniel,

I imported the project and noticed that the fatfs file did not contain the file fsl_usb_disk, which contains

the msd_diskio.c and .h files.  My first question is of course aren't these files needed?

Second, after I compiled the project, it complained about the following library libusbh_bm.a   I noticed that

a Read.pdf document in the sample project stated that the following libraries are needed:

<install_dir>/usb/usb_core/host/lib/bm/<tool_chain>/<soc_name>

<install_dir>/lib/ksdk_platform_lib/<tool_chain>/<platform>

I have some questions regarding this:

1. Where am I suppose to place these libraries and how?

2. What do these libraries do for the project itself?

Thank you,

Neil

0 Kudos

neilporven
Senior Contributor I

Thank you Daniel.

0 Kudos