Kernel Hangs... once HDMI enabled in u-boot

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel Hangs... once HDMI enabled in u-boot

nayanpatel
Contributor II

I have been using SCM imx6 board. updated u-boot to have splash screen and deployed on board. I enabled HDMI detect in board configuration of uboot and uboot is able to detect HDMI display and also showing Splash screen on the UI. After making aforementioned changes my setup hangs at 

Starting Kernel.....

To make sure whether it is due to HDMI changes which i did for Splash screen, i have removed HDMI cabel and now kernel is able to boot successfully with out any issue. Just want to know where am i making mistakes? I need to have splash screen in uboot and followed by Qt application on UI.

7 Replies

christian_neuwi
Contributor III

Igor,

I have exactly the same problem that Nayan described. The previously attached patch causes the Kernel not to hang anymore, but the HDMI output doesn't work either.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris.

0 Kudos

christian_neuwi
Contributor III

Thanks, Fabio.

This seems to do the trick :-)

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Nayan

this may be related to

Bug 6703 – Kernel hangs on boot when HDMI cable is plugged 

had you tried nxp Demo Image

Board Support Packages (3)
Demo Images - QWKS Board based on SCM-i.MX 6D/Q
http://www.nxp.com/products/single-chip-modules/quick-start-board-for-scm-i.mx-6dq:QWKS-SCM-IMX6DQ?f...

also one can try attached patch developed by other customers

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nayanpatel
Contributor II

Thank you igorpadykov‌.!

Let's consider my scenario, I need to have HDMI detected in both kernel and uboot. as we are going to show uboot and kernel splash screen on HDMI display. I currently have following things working on board without any issue:

• u-boot with disabled HDMI + Kernel is able to detect HDMI and have splash screen ( Configured in kernel ). Over here we have splash screen delayed by 5 to 6 seconds till kernel has init script for Splash screen executed.

To overcome the blank screen after switching on we have decided to have splash screen from u-boot as well. So, we have enabled HDMI detection in u-boot and also enabled splash screen. But after making those changes Kernel is not able to boot-up. so, our final expectation is like below:

•  U-boot with splash screen loads first and load logo in HDMI display till the kernel init scripts loads splash screen on the HDMI display, Just need some help to have HDMI detected in uboot as well along with splash screen in both uboot and kernel. 

can you please suggest any patches, so we can have splash screen working in both uboot and kernel along with HDMI display and no hangs with kernel after bootup?

0 Kudos

nayanpatel
Contributor II

I have updated display structure in board configuration file as per following to detect HDMI in uboot:

struct display_info_t const displays[] = {{
.bus = -1,
.addr = 0,
.pixfmt = IPU_PIX_FMT_RGB666,
.detect = detect_hdmi,  // Earlier it was NULL
.enable = enable_lvds,
.mode = {
.name = "Hannstar-XGA",
.refresh = 60,
.xres = 1024,
.yres = 768,
.pixclock = 15385,
.left_margin = 220,
.right_margin = 40,
.upper_margin = 21,
.lower_margin = 7,
.hsync_len = 60,
.vsync_len = 10,
.sync = FB_SYNC_EXT,
.vmode = FB_VMODE_NONINTERLACED
} },

Now, uboot is able to detect HDMI with correct resolution but kernel hangs when HDMI is detected in uboot (HDMI cable is connected). If i remove HDMI cable and reset then uboot and kernel loads perfectly with out any issue. Need help :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos