i.MX temperature file reading always returns -EAGAIN.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX temperature file reading always returns -EAGAIN.

myo
Contributor I

Hello,

1. We use yocto (with mainline kernel 4.4.18) for our i.MX 6SOLO-based custom board.
  2. We use in-kernel thermal management framework with default thermal governor (step_wise) (drivers/thermal/imx-thermal.c) with defined trip points:
    imx_thermal 2000000.aips-bus:tempmon: Commercial CPU temperature grade - max:95C critical:90C passive:85C
  3. We heat up the board in climate chamber until temperature reaches critical value (90C) and in-kernel thermal management powers it off. After short period of time (when temperature is in range passive(85C)...critical(90C), we power up the board again so the alarm condition is met and imx_thermal interrupt fires up. When we try to read out the temperature from corresponding sysfs file we permanently get the error -EAGAIN:
    strace cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp ... open("/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 3 sendfile64(1, 3, NULL, 16777216)        = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable) read(3, 0x7ee5bc00, 4096)               = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable) brk(NULL)                               = 0x1ad9000 brk(0x1afa000)                          = 0x1afa000 write(2, "cat: read error: Resource tempor"..., 50cat: read error: Resource temporarily unavailable

root@bibo:~# cat /proc/interrupts             CPU0        <snip>
    271:          2       GPC  49 Level     imx_thermal
    <snip>
  4. There are a couple of workarounds to enforce the temperature file to be readable. If we explicitly enable the thermal's mode via sysfs (echo enabled > /sys/sys/class/therma/thermal_zone0/mode) the temperature file becomes readable. The same applies to suspend/resume cycles - after resume the temperature file is readable.

Having analyzed/debugged the code (for both mainline and freescale's trees) I figured out the reason of the problem:

In imx_thermal_probe() thermal alarm interrupt is enabled before device's 'mode' field is set to THERMAL_DEVICE_ENABLED while the sensor hardware is already powered up. If alarm condition is met -
the interrupt immediately fires up. During (threaded) interrupt processing imx_get_temp() is called. The field 'mode' is still set to DISABLED, so imx_get_temp() processes such case by special way: sensor is powered up,
measurement is enabled, a reading is taken, after that measurement is DISABLED and temperature sensor is POWERED DOWN.
When processing of alarm interrupt ends, imx_thermal_probe() continues and sets mode field to ENABLED, but in fact the device is powered off!

This leads to broken logic of further calls of imx_get_temp().

The consequences of this bug could be quite serious - the temperature is not read out from the sensor, so in-kernel thermal management is useless - the board is not powered off by thermal management when the CPU is overheated.

Attached is patch against freescale's tree (branch origin/imx_4.1.y_brillo)

Kind regards,

Maxim Osipov.

Original Attachment has been moved to: 0001-thermal-imx-Fixes-temperature-reading-always-returns.patch.zip

0 Kudos
2 Replies

myo
Contributor I

Hi Igor,

I've followed the link you provided me - 

i.MX 6 BSP Updates and Release

Linux 4.1.15_2.1.0 for i.MX 6SLL [Current Release]

I clicked the source link and it redirected me to  Freescale Public GIT 

There are several kernel trees for imx (most of them are quite old ones):

imx
fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.giti.MX Linux BSP Release Yocto Project manifestsraa013
imx-alsa-plugins.gitUnnamed repository; edit this file 'description' to name the repository.raa01312 days
imx-firmware.giti.MX Firmwareraa01312 days
imx-lib.gitUnnamed repository; edit this file 'description' to name the repository.raa01312 days
linux-2.6-imx.gitFreescale i.MX Linux TreeXinyu Chen3 years
linux-imx.giti.MX Linux Kernelraa013
meta-fsl-bsp-release.giti.MX BSP Yocto Project Release LayerMahesh Mahadevan4 years
meta-nxp-agl.gitNXP AGL Yocto Project Demo Layerraa0138 months
meta-nxp-genivi.gitNXP Genivi Yocto Project Demo Layerraa0139 months
meta-nxp-imx-scm.gitNXP SCM i.MX Yocto Project Layerraa01312 months
meta-nxp-iotg.gitNXP IOTG Yocto Project Demo Layerraa0138 months
meta-nxp-xbmc.gitNXP XBMC Yocto Project Demo Layerraa0139 months
simg2img.gitUnnamed repository; edit this file 'description' to name the repository.raa01312 days

Which exactly imx git tree is current one? linux-imx.git?

Thank you in advance,

Maxim.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Maxim

this kernel version is not supported by nxp, please try official nxp releases described on

i.MX 6 / i.MX 7 Series Software and Development Tool|NXP 

for mainline kernel 4.4.18 issues one can post on kernel mail list

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos